mtbr member
    May 2007

Lubricating brake pistons...

Other than using the same type of brake fluid that is in the system already.....any other recommendations for lubricating brake pistons ?
    Usual scenario - Juicy 5's eventually begin to drag a little. Once cleaned, I usually put a drop of brake fluid onto the piston, cycle it a few times, and re-assemble the pads etc.
    Any other lubes worth a try ?

...idios...
    For my Hopes, I use a silicone spray from the same company who make WD40. You'll find get it at B&Q.

It's perfect for cleaning and keeping soft your caliper seals as it dries without oily residue. I spray the inside of the caliper and wipe it clean, then I have a fat washer which just fits in the rotor aperture and allows me to pump the pistons out almost completely before spraying them with the silicone and then cleaning the pistons with a cotton bud. Spray again and push the pistons carefully back into the caliper. Any remaining spray can be wiped away to leave the caliper interior dry; otherwise the pads may collect contamination.

Edit: it's also worth mentioning that this is pretty good stuff for driving water from places you don't want water, like pivots and bolts. Beats WD40 and GT85 by a long way as it doesn't have particularly good solvent properties, so ingress into bearings isn't such a concern, nor does it carry wet oil.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler