Thread: Lubricant issue

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Lubricant issue

Ok after my last ride I washed my bike and lubed everything. I think a inadvertently got some lubricant – either W-D40 or Tri-Flow chain oil of my brake pads. Last night I went for a 16 miler and the brakes squealed and hollowed like holy-hell and they certainly didn’t stick as well. Do I have to replace the pads or is there a way to salvage them? I run hydro’s elixir 5’s

banned
    Apr 2010
    Wash them in alcohol, sand the surface, wash again. If not, then cook em and in the future, stop getting oil on your brake pads and then riding for 16 miles with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You can try....

baking the pads in an oven at about 450 degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes, or your can try flaming them with a propane torch until they smoke (oil burning off) or should I say stop smoking. And then cleaning you rotors with rubbing alcohol. That might work. I've had better luck just replacing the pads and cleaning the rotors. What in the world are you doing with WD40?! It isn't a lubricant and the overspray tends to get into places that it shouldn't. Makes a reasonable degreaser though. Also if you are using spray cans of lube, stop. Get a squeeze bottle of lube. Not as fast and easy as a spray, but less messy and the lube isn't as likely to go where you don't want it to.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thnak you guys - I will try you recommondations.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    15 mins in an old fry pan with the stove set at medium, then a light sanding...

Use some isopropyl alcohol on the rotor...

Also grab the rotor with a bit a sandpaper and spin the wheel...

The re-bed and go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    15 mins in an old fry pan with the stove set at medium, then a light sanding...

Use some isopropyl alcohol on the rotor...

Also grab the rotor with a bit a sandpaper and spin the wheel...

The re-bed and go.
    This worked fairly good. You could actually see the oil come out the top of pad as they heated up. I won't know for sure until I hit the trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Or buy a 3 dollar can of brake cleaner and soak'em.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeper
    Ok after my last ride I washed my bike and lubed everything. I think a inadvertently got some lubricant – either W-D40 or Tri-Flow chain oil of my brake pads. Last night I went for a 16 miler and the brakes squealed and hollowed like holy-hell and they certainly didn’t stick as well. Do I have to replace the pads or is there a way to salvage them? I run hydro’s elixir 5’s
    WD-40 is not lubricant!!! Use it only for cleaning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you read my initial post you'll see I was cleaning. Not sure what got in there.