mtbr member

Low budget DISC HUB - plus quality...

Do they exist? I`m wanting to covert to disc brakes but don`t want heavy hubs. Is there a reliable, quality made, light weight disc hub available that doesn`t cost the earth? Particularly for the rear.

Kings are way out of my budget and XT`s are too heavy. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Do they exist? I`m wanting to covert to disc brakes but don`t want heavy hubs. Is there a reliable, quality made, light weight disc hub available that doesn`t cost the earth? Particularly for the rear.

Kings are way out of my budget and XT`s are too heavy. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Go with Hugi 240's, they are a really nice hub. I have one on the back (Magura Pro but it's the same hub) and so far no problems after almost 2 years. They have always said that quality, weight, and price are something manufacturers have tried to reach, but one will always compromise the other two. You want light weight and quality, it will be expensive. You want quality and a cheap price it is going to be heavy. You want light weight and a cheap price the quality is going to be poor. So in reality pick the two you want the most. My next wheelset will have Kings..... price doesn't really matter since Kings last way longer than any other hub, they are worth the cost. I have a set of standard kings that are almsot 6 years old and still spin like new.
    Pat T.

mtbr member

Dude (or dudette), XT's may be heavy

but you can't beat the price. I just got a set from Cambria for ~$70 (the older, 6 bolt style). Then I got a set of Mavic 317's from pricepoint for the same price. Not too bad for a disc set with quality components. I actually weighed the hubs and qrs, but I've got it written down at work. I'll post it tomorrow. Hub weight isn't as big a deal as rim weight, or at least that's what the weight geeks say.

Ft hub: 243.5g; QR: 58.6g
    Rr hub: 431.8g; QR: 63.7g
    Last edited by Fat Elvis; 02-23-2004 at 07:31 AM.

Authority is dead!

I got Magura Pro

Quote Originally Posted by top_ring

I got a brand new Magura Pro (front). 30$ shipped to you door. Email me if you want it.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]