Not a Barry supporter.

Upset Love my El Camino's but...

I think I'm done with them. I've never had a problem with them EXCEPT when changing pads. Every time I change pads either I F up the pads or the caliper. I got so ticked off tonight that I took the rear off and went old skool HFX Mag XC on the bike. That brake is 10 years old and is easy as pie to change pads on. And I think the lever feels better. I may go searching for old Mag XC's just cause.

So anyone else have problems changing pads on the EC's? They brakes have worked great in every condition and I do love them....but I've never had so much problem changing pads....UGH!!!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i have a set and after initial set-up they have been fine, no problems when changing pads neither. Maybe i'm just one of the lucky ones.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

txn
    mtbr member
    I used to love my ECs until they needed to be bled. After 4 different mechanics from 2 different shops were unsuccessful in bleeding them properly, I had enough and switched to Magura Louises. As it turns out, I'm much happier with the feel of the Louises.

Every one of those mechanics cursed the ECs and said they are PITA to bleed.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I've heard that too. Everyone I ride with has Avid's. I may give those a shot. It's a shame b/c I've always been a Hayes loyalist. I love the modulation. Now the search is on for my next brake. I think I'm trying something else as these EC's are a joke to work on at all.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    If you have a chance, give the Hayes Strokers a try. The Trail and Carbon versions have the same hydraulic ratio as the Mag. And both bleeding and pad change are really easy.
    Denny Yunk
    Mktg. Supervisor, Hayes Bicycle Group
    Tech support: hayestech@hayesbicycle.com | 888.686.3472

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I've heard that too. Everyone I ride with has Avid's. I may give those a shot. It's a shame b/c I've always been a Hayes loyalist. I love the modulation. Now the search is on for my next brake. I think I'm trying something else as these EC's are a joke to work on at all.
    The J7's are a very powerful brake but they lack feel and feedback that the Hayes Mags have. If you are looking to keep the wonderful brake control of Hayes then the Stroker that Racerveza recommended are awesome. The pad on the Stroker is larger then the G2 on the Mag's so you get better power with actually better response and the pads are just as easy to replace.

http://www.spadout.com/p/hayes-strok...n-disc-brakes/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerveza
    If you have a chance, give the Hayes Strokers a try. The Trail and Carbon versions have the same hydraulic ratio as the Mag. And both bleeding and pad change are really easy.
    I'm willing to test ride them for free. Or continue to use the EC's for a replacement piston.

Seriously, Hayes are the only brake I've ridden the last 9 or 10 years. Why are the pads a pain to change? Why are the calipers so hard to get back into place? The Mag's took all of 10 minutes total to do both wheels. The first time I tried changing the pads, the pin broke. So I had to have a new caliper installed. This time the pads came out but I could not get the pistons to seat back into place. That was not the case on the Mag's.

Hayes seems to be like Marzocchi now. At one time the best products on the market, but now everyone is passing them by as they stick to some of the old technology while the other companies are developing new technology. It's a shame b/c whenever I've built up a bike in the past, I had to make lots of decisions and really took my time and sometimes my head would hurt with all the possibilities. But I never had to think about the fork or the brakes...Marz and Hayes were the standards. Well, Marz lost me about 3 years ago and Hayes is almost at the same point. That makes me sad.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

ride hard take risks

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I'm willing to test ride them for free. Or continue to use the EC's for a replacement piston.

Seriously, Hayes are the only brake I've ridden the last 9 or 10 years. Why are the pads a pain to change? Why are the calipers so hard to get back into place? The Mag's took all of 10 minutes total to do both wheels. The first time I tried changing the pads, the pin broke. So I had to have a new caliper installed. This time the pads came out but I could not get the pistons to seat back into place. That was not the case on the Mag's.

Hayes seems to be like Marzocchi now. At one time the best products on the market, but now everyone is passing them by as they stick to some of the old technology while the other companies are developing new technology. It's a shame b/c whenever I've built up a bike in the past, I had to make lots of decisions and really took my time and sometimes my head would hurt with all the possibilities. But I never had to think about the fork or the brakes...Marz and Hayes were the standards. Well, Marz lost me about 3 years ago and Hayes is almost at the same point. That makes me sad.
    Every company is challenged to recreate something because of consumer demands, some times they hit the nail on the head sometimes they miss. I have never tried the EC's but from what I have read here some have had no problems once set up others swear never to go back.
    I have been on Hayes Mags for 9+ years and love them, decided to go on a limb and ordered the Strokers WoW better then the Mags!!

Personally I feel Hayes/Manitou/Sun products are on a comeback with all the crazy changes that went on with them. One thing that never got frazzled with the changes and move is the Customer Service they were traveling cross country relocating still taking care of the customer.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    If I can't get the bleeding sorted out I am going to put the F+R EC's on Ebay for someone else to deal with. I bought my EC's think'n once set they'd be great so far I am unimpressed! Not very low maintenance! Has anyone bled these suckers successfully?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by king_andre
    If I can't get the bleeding sorted out I am going to put the F+R EC's on Ebay for someone else to deal with. I bought my EC's think'n once set they'd be great so far I am unimpressed! Not very low maintenance! Has anyone bled these suckers successfully?
    Have you seen this video? Stroker bleeding video
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Have you seen this video? Stroker bleeding video

Watching it now, hopefully it will save my EC's!! Thanks Mate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Secret Hand Shake

I was having a hell of a time Bleeding my Stroker Rydes. Have had Mags for 7 years and always bled first time. Watch the video CLOSELY. I didn't pay attention the first time, so I watched the video again. REMOVE the Cailper and rotate in your hand while pushing the fluid through, more damn bubbles. That little trick of using an olive or I used a spare sleeve commonly used to connect the hose to the lever/ caliper, to lock the tube onto the master cylinder, makes the bleed much easer.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfaith
    That little trick of using an olive or I used a spare sleeve commonly used to connect the hose to the lever/ caliper, to lock the tube onto the master cylinder, makes the bleed much easer.
    Also hose for a fish tank air pump is much better then the stuff in the kit. Doesnt swell from the fluid as quickly and makes a tighter bond to the nipple/adapter.

Oh ya it comes in two sizes so if a adapter is small but the fluid transport hose is large the hoses fit into each other to create an adapter.
    Formotion Products