mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Louise FR pad replacement question

I successfully bled my Louise FR rear brake a few weeks ago and did not replace an 80% worn brake pad at the time. So now that it is time to replace the brake pads, I cannot get the pistons to retract enough to fit both new brake pads in the caliper.

Can I simply remove the reservoir cap and push the pistons back further with the cap off to reduce the amount of oil in the system? What are the chances I will have to rebleed if I do this? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here's what I do everytime that happens to me: just unscrew the bleed screw on the caliper a little bit and let a very small amount of fluid escape from the system. Be sure and only let small amounts of fluid out each time as a little bit goes a long way. Also, don't remove the bleed screw all the way, just enough for some fluid to escpe and then seal it back up. After you let each small amount of fluid out, put the pads back in and set the caliper on the rotor and give the lever a few squeezes. Once you can get the pads back in and the lever feel is good, stop letting fluid out.

Once important thing to rememeber is because of the floating pistons, try and replace the pads after each instance in which you let some fluid out. This is because the pistons will not retrtact all the way on there own and you don't want to let too much fluid out and have to re-bleed.

Bodhisattva
    Good tip AK. I hadn't thought of that & it is far less likely that you will introduce air that way as opposed to removing the reservoir cap.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great tip! I was worried about letting air in via the reservoir cap.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    Great tip! I was worried about letting air in via the reservoir cap.
    Glad I could help. I figured it out because I always put more fluid in my system than the yellow bleed tab allows (I like my levers to engage really fast). So, I needed a reliable way to remove fluid from the system without introducing air. Hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by AKBiker; 09-02-2004 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling