Stupid and Dangerous

Louise FR front fitment question

I recently purchased a Louise FR disk brake kit to install on a new bike I'm building.

I got the bike together last night only to realize that my front rotor and caliper are FAR form being able to line up.

The front brake setup is a Marzocchi Z150 FR 20mm axelfork, Hope 20mm Bulb Hub, Magura 210mm rotor and the Magura FR caliper. The Louise FR instructions state that using this kit with a 20mm axel requires 3mm spacers not included with the kit. In a pinch I drilled out 2 presta nuts which are right about 3mm. After rigging my makeshift spacers I try to center the caliper over the rotor only to realize it would take about 6mm of spacers to get it centered.

I'm thinking I must just have an incorrect adaptor (I got 2 adaptors for the kit and they are identical they are stamped with the Magura logo and the number 15) but it aligns the caliper to the correct diameter of the rotor... what am I doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

meh....
    Get some thicker shims, and maybe longer bolts. The rotor on a 20mm thru axle fork is 5 mm farther away from the fork tabs than on a QR fork, if it's built to the 20mm thru axle Int'l Standard. Not sure why they'd say 3mm.

Monte

No, that's not phonetic
    5mm is just about right. I have one of Magura's 3mm shims along with a 1mm and a bunch of the 0.2mm shims. It probably adds up to about 5. You will need some longer bolts. Another idea is to put some shims between the fork and the adapter, and the rest between the adapter and caliper if you are not getting enough thread insertion from the bolts. Here is my FR on an 05 Zoke Z1 FR1 and a WTB Laser Disc DH hub:

The brakes are great. Once you get them set up, you will be very happy.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Stupid and Dangerous
    Thanks for the info I can't believe the 210mm disc set is not setup for a 20mm axel, as I thought that it's not reccomented practice to run any larger disc than a 160mm on a QR. 5mm seems a little silly but I'll get some longer bolts and shim it out.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Thanks for the info I can't believe the 210mm disc set is not setup for a 20mm axel, as I thought that it's not reccomented practice to run any larger disc than a 160mm on a QR. 5mm seems a little silly but I'll get some longer bolts and shim it out.

Thanks again
    I think the DH standard is 5mm closer, so you don't have to run the shims.... I'll have to check with my super t when I get home. I wish they would just make one spec and stick to it.
    Pat T.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat T.
    I think the DH standard is 5mm closer, so you don't have to run the shims.... I'll have to check with my super t when I get home. I wish they would just make one spec and stick to it.
    I just checked the drawings on Hayes site again, 20mm standard is 15mm rotor to fork tab, QR is 10mm. I also remember from some Hopes I ran for a bit as they shipped with (2) 5mm shims to shove the caliper over toward the rotor on my old QR20 Z1.

Some forks like the Psylo with the Tullio and the Maverick DUC32 have 20mm or 24mm axles, but the rotor face is only 10mm from the fork tab. Go figure.

Monte

Authority is dead!
    What's most surprising is that if you buy a pair of v brake pads with all those nuts and washers on them, one, was a perfect fit spacer for my set up.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]