Ride Everything

Louise BATs -- yay or nay?

How do these compare to Elixirs or Strokers? I tried both of those, and really only liked the Elixirs. I would have kept them, but I could never get them to shut up.

I'm considering the Louise BATs because I want/need something with the ability to adjust when/where the pads engage.

I'm currently running tarted-up BB7s (Ultimate levers, Ripcords, organic pads), but am getting tired of having to replace the cables/housing to maintain that "fresh feeling."
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member

Good job! yay

I am currently running the BATs on my Trance and really like them.
    I am not sure how they compare to the Strokers or Elixers however as I have not used them.
    My wifes bike has Hope Mini's and I have used the BB7's ,BB5's Juicy 7's ,and cheaper Hayes hydros. I really like the setup of the BATs and the adjustablity of them since I like my front tight and the rear a little soft.
    rideyourbicycle.blogspot.com

I Ride Alone
    I guy I ride with has the BATS and he loves them! I've tested them and they seem great like all Magura products I have used. They have better stopping power than my Martas and modulate about the same. Setup is easier.
    Additionally Magura has a fantastis customer service department/Help line at Magura USA. Their number is in the instructions if you need help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a set of BATs I will be installing next week, I rode a friends bike recently with a set of standard Louise and they felt great, I will be changing over from Codes, so will be interesting to see how they go.

I have not tried Strokers or Elixirs yet.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run Louise BATs on one of my bikes (Shimano M775 XTs on another). A few friends run Stroker Trails on their Reigns. I've ridden their bikes and I prefer the Louise (and they prefer them too). They are more powerful, modulate better, rub less and don't make as much noise as the Strokers which are pretty quiet anyway.
    I haven't tried Elixirs but I had a set of Juicy 7s before I went to the Maguras. The Louise have IMO more power than the J7s and with way better modulation and zero fade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes to the Louise BATs. I have upgraded from a tuned set of Avid BB7s myself which I liked a lot. The Louise are just as powerful (if not slightly more using similar 180mm front disc), they certainly modulate better and dare I say it, feel a little less crude. Both are excellent brakes, but if I had to choose would keep the Louise BATs. I do not run the ventidiscs BTW.