mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Louise BAT: Bent adjuster bolt...how??

Hi-

Re: my earlier post concerning my brake lever not returning fully to the rest position when released, I think I've found the problem.

Took the lever blade off and found the reach adjuster bolt had a mild bend in it.

Magura gurus, a few questions, then--

-This is plausibly the root issue with my brakes, correct?

-Why did this happen? They're only a few months old and I've never crashed the bike except for one mild layover. Would having the reach adjusted too far inward somehow put too much stress on the bolt over time?? I'm running them as XC brakes on a rigid singlespeed; it's not a DH bike! The hills here are huge, though, so they've been getting a workout for sure.

Thanks.

MD

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hmm, That's a new one and I can't think of how that could happen but it's not unusual to be surprised thankfully!
    Take a photo or something and let me know what I can send to you to rectify the situation.

I may have an extra lever assembly I would be glad to send your way. Give me some details as you may only need the hardware.
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sure thing; will try to get some photos up tomorrow. I sent Magura an email but never heard back, and can't get any of my email addresses to be accepted for registration at the Magura forum.

All I need is a new adjuster bolt; in the interim, I took one from a set of brand-new brakes I had waiting to install on another bike...so if you guys could send me a replacement, that'd be great.

Do you think switching to non-BAT levers might be beneficial to me?

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Do you use the feature ever?
    Some folks rather the simpler non-BAT.

I will wait for the photo and then send you what you need.

Thanks
    Jude

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Jude, sorry I took so long to reply! I accidentally put my reply on a different thread.

See attached a photo of the bent adjuster bolt. It's hard to see the slight bend, but I marked the apparent site of the bend with the red circle you see in the photo.

When I replaced this bent bolt with a straight one from a new lever (was preparing to install it on another bike), it functioned properly again. Something about that bend was causing the lever to hang up.

Any idea what could cause the bend? I want to avoid it happening again.

If you can send me a replacement, I'd much appreciate it. I will try emailing you at Jude@magurausa.com.

MD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Louise BAT:  Bent adjuster bolt...how??-img_6424.jpg