mtbr member
    Feb 2007

LOUD V-Brakes; How Do I Shut Them UP???

Today, I completed my ground-up build on my hardtail. After attempting to come to my first stop, I learned that my rear brake is horifically LOUD; it makes the most ear piercing screach/squeak that I have ever heard; people must hear me for blocks. The setup is a Avid Single Digit SL V-Brake with Avid ceramic pads, all to stop a Mavic Crossmax SL rim brake. All components are brand new. Some of the other guys at the shop suggested I sand down the pads; I tried a light sanding and rubbing alcohol on the wheels, still no better. What do I have to do?

ups and downs
    You might need to tinker with the toe-in of the brake pads so the front edge contacts the rim first. I went through that with Crossmax XL wheels, I tried all sorts of angles of toe in and found that it seemed to be different on the fork and frame. I eventually switched to a Kool-Stop ceramic pad and they were much quieter.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=21

neutiquam erro
    Yep, I agree on all points with rocky. Kool-Stops are a must-have for Vs.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dude, sweet! I tried the Park Tool guide on how to "toe-in" the brake pads; it worked perfectly. I was bummed all afternoon as I, after three months of work, finished my bike today and couldn't ride it due to my insane brakes, not to mention that my bottom-bracket needs to "cure" for 24hrs. I intended to ride the bike to work tomorrow and that noise would drive me nuts on the first stop; I am all good now!!!

Interestingly enough, only the rear set need be "toe-in"; the fronts start to squeak at "toe-in". I have them flush with the rim.