mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Loud Squeaky BB7's ???

I've got a Karate Monkey with BB7's and although the brakes have great stopping power, they squeak and squeal alot. Is this an adjustment thing or just something you have to live with?

BTW, I live in Hawaii ... fairly humid environment ... does that make any difference? Any ideas on how to quiet them down???

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Are you using the Roundagon rotors or G2 rotors? Also, running stock pads?

mtbr member
    Had the same problems using both roundagons disc and the g2 .Funny thing is it went away when i installed my Pike..Im not sure because of the different caliper mounting position from my Recon 351 and my Pike 454 made a difference or i just got lucky adjusting them..just a note..Aloha Stan
    Respect the Aina....Aloha

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH
    Are you using the Roundagon rotors or G2 rotors? Also, running stock pads?
    Using the roundagon and stock pads. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KAHAIKAPU
    Had the same problems using both roundagons disc and the g2 .Funny thing is it went away when i installed my Pike..Im not sure because of the different caliper mounting position from my Recon 351 and my Pike 454 made a difference or i just got lucky adjusting them..just a note..Aloha Stan
    Aloha Stan --- You on the big island?

mtbr member
    Aloha Bro..naw im on the other end of the chain lol..Kauai..im not sure about the stock brake pads but hopefully others will chime in.Also there is a How to set up thoses BB7 if you havent had a chance to check um out..Good luck ..Aloha Stan..........

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KAHAIKAPU
    Aloha Bro..naw im on the other end of the chain lol..Kauai..im not sure about the stock brake pads but hopefully others will chime in.Also there is a How to set up thoses BB7 if you havent had a chance to check um out..Good luck ..Aloha Stan..........
    I'm on Kauai too, South Shore. I'll check out the setup info too.

mtbr member
    KEWL..maybe we can hook up after you get that brakes the way you want them..we ride on sundays.i beleive you ll find the vid on youtube ..check it out..anyways gotta work cya..

Blue Pig
    I too am having issues like this with my front brake/rotor. Could it be we need to clean our rotors? It's that or get new pads.

Found these posts:

I upgraded my bike to Avid mechanical discs over three years ago and mine were plagued with either a nasty metal-on-metal grinding noise or the infamous squealing. Sure, they did a great job stopping the bike but the noises were absolutely hideous. When I first bought them I just assumed the pads installed were a bit too metallic so I changed them out with a new set of Avids once they wore down. No change. Just recently I discovered a solution to my problem--a set of Jagwire pads. I'm sure they will wear down more quickly as they seem softer but they are extremely quiet and the stopping power is unbelievable. They are also cheaper if you buy them online. Just thought I'd share...
    We went on about this a while ago. I put Juicy's on my bike a while back and just went out and rode . After a few rides they were sceaming. I took the rotors off, cleaned them with isopropyl and buffed them in a tight circular motion with a piece of emory cloth. Took the pads out and and rubbed them on a piece of emory laid on a flat surface until their surface was all the same sheen. Put it all back together and took it for a break-in ride, locking up front and rear about 50 times. I clean the rotors before every ride with Iso and they've been quiet ever since.
    Too bad this idea doesn't work for squirrels.

Mine are very noisy but I have learned to ignore it. I use it to scare the deer off the trail at Fountainhead.
    Last edited by Blksocks; 03-22-2010 at 05:47 PM.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.