mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Lost "Pad Retaining Clip" on BB7 - needed?

Somehow while putting my rear wheel on I knocked the inboard pad. I have never changed pads, so I was learning on the fly at the trailhead. I pushed both pads back in with the proper "pad spring clip" that keeps them spread apart, but I lost the silver "pad retaining clip" on top of the pads. I didn't realize it until later and can't find it. Do I really need it? Is it just an extra backup to keep the pads from coming out. The pads seem to be staying in and functioning fine. This is on newer Avid BB7 - Black body marked "July 07" on the body. I have some older gray ones that don't have the window opening on top looking down into the pads, so I can't see the silver clip I lost on the older ones.

This is the clip I'm talking about. On picture #10 on page 34 here:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/avid/.../TM_MY08_E.pdf

Thanks for any advice.
    John

ride hard take risks
    That clip looks to be held in place by the caliper halves so it should not just fall out. Looking on BTI they are on B/O. The spring clip is just to help the pads retract quicker you will need the retainer if it is missing.

DetailsAV-521001 '03+ Juicy, '08+ BB-7 pad retention clip pair
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Clip

The same clip came off my Juicy 7. My was bent and I had to remove it. The brakes seem to work with out it. Does it have to be replaced?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Nah, so long as you have the little spring for between the pads, you're good to go.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper