mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Lost free stroke after brake pad change

Hey folks,

I'm using the X0 Trails, but the OEM model without free stroke adjustment.

Anyways, I changed the pads and spread the pistons back into the body. The pistons still seem to drift out a bit on their own though, leaving the pads in contact with the brake.

Is this a problem with the pad return spring most likely? Seems plausible to me. Or is it a bleed problem?

There was plenty of free stroke before I changed the pads...

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Did you undo any adjustments you made at the levers? I had a set of Elixir 7's for a while. As the pads wore down, I adjusted the reach. When I replaced the pads, I wasn't able to push the pistons back fully until I reversed those adjustments. Sounds similar, but not identical, to your problem.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Is it possible that a brake bleed was done some time with "used", partially worn brake pads? If this was the case, then you might have too much fluid in your brake system. I just got done replying back to an earlier post where this was the case. Take a look and read through this post.

Brake Pads Locked to Disc

Essentially, what you're going to want to do is remove the screw from the lever where you put fluid in and get the pistons retracted all the way. In your case, if you have the old brake pads that'd be even better because you will be prying the pistons out using a screwdriver. This way you won't ruin or gouge your brand new brake pads. Good luck with that.

Aloha

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Is it possible that a brake bleed was done some time with "used", partially worn brake pads? If this was the case, then you might have too much fluid in your brake system. I just got done replying back to an earlier post where this was the case. Take a look and read through this post.

Brake Pads Locked to Disc

Essentially, what you're going to want to do is remove the screw from the lever where you put fluid in and get the pistons retracted all the way. In your case, if you have the old brake pads that'd be even better because you will be prying the pistons out using a screwdriver. This way you won't ruin or gouge your brand new brake pads. Good luck with that.

Aloha
    Awesome, worked like a charm.

Thank you!