Thread: Loosing Hope

Victim of Saddle Rage

Loosing Hope

I was really stoked when my X2 Race brakes showed up on my doorstep from Wiggle UK and was ready to kiss the Passion People at Magura goodbye after 8 years of loyalty. Call it moving on, but I ran into some major issues with these X2 Races:

1. The front caliper hits the spokes using a RS Reba 29er PM and AM Classic Hub
    2. Pad clearance is almost zero making drag free just a dream
    3. Both rotors are extremely out of true and are near impossible to hand straighten
    4. Cannot get them to center
    5. Are you really supposed to recycle the olive after shortening the hose?
    6. What's up with the short levers.

Well they were easy to bleed and have a great feel at the baby sized lever, but I think I have lost any sense of Hope. Has anyone else had a real hard time with these brakes? Back to the Marta SL, I guess.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of the Mini X2 Pro's (the blue ano ones) and I experienced the opposite of what you described. They run rub free, center easily and levers feel and fit awesome. That said some have not liked the new model's baby levers.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Uhm, something is not quite right. Indeed the front caliper is hitting the spokes which is a no go. After playing around a bit, the clearance is great when the pads/pistons are retracted, but once I squeeze that leaver they appear to come out but not fully retract. Ahr!! The lever feels great though. 2 more hours wasted. Maybe I should contact Hope?
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right....call Hope.

...idios...
    1. The front caliper hits the spokes using a RS Reba 29er PM and AM Classic Hub

That's probably a cross-compatibility issue with the hub - a 160mm rotor, I presume? If the rotor sufficient clearance of the fork leg, a .5mm or 1mm spacer can be used between the rotor and the hub.

2. Pad clearance is almost zero making drag free just a dream.

From the sound of it, and based on your later posts, the pistons aren't retracting properly. Five minutes spent freeing them up (first paragraph of this guide) should have the caliper running properly.

3. Both rotors are extremely out of true and are near impossible to hand straighten.

Try a different technique or get somebody else to do it.

4. Cannot get them to center

Have you seen the Hope set-up videos? LInk. However, deal with your piston/seals issue first.

5. Are you really supposed to recycle the olive after shortening the hose?

Yes; all fitting are reusable.

6. What's up with the short levers.

I don't know.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Victim of Saddle Rage
    SteveUK,

Thanks so much. That's some great info, especially using spacers on the disc. I had "Hoped" for a little more plug n' play. Well now I just need another quiet day in the man cave

...idios...
    I had "Hoped" for a little more plug n' play.
    You and plenty of other people; we're so spoiled nowadays! I'm sure that this is why people have so many problems with hydraulics, especially with the generally accepted installation method being, frustratingly, the loosen bolts-pull lever-tighten bolt method advised by Avid.

Just wondering, since you mention reusing the olive: does that mean you've already trimmed the hose?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Victim of Saddle Rage
    Trimmed and given a good bleed. So simple in comparison to my Maguras. I am always amazed at how much air comes out while bleeding those Marta SLs. After seven years of Martas there I've mastered all the tricks, so it is definitely time to try some Hopes Sadly, I've changed pads, rotors, and bled the brakes on my jeep in half the time it takes to install hydros on my mountain bike.