mtbr member

Loose Rotor with Centerlock Adapter

Because of advice in this forum, I decided to buy DT Swiss centerlock adapters to put my new Avid rotors onto my new DT Swiss wheelset. Avid BB7 160mm rotor on a DT Swiss 340 hub.

I got all the pieces and assembled the rotor onto the wheel using the adapter. The adapter piece fits onto the centerlock portion of the hub. Then the rotor fits onto 6 prongs sticking up from that. Then the lockring screws into the hub, fitting over the rotor, holding it in place. Here is a picture:

The problem is, the rotor is shifting on me. If you are looking at the picture, it shifts from left to right rotationally, or right to left, just a little bit. Maybe 1mm. It appears as though the the adapter is not 100% snug on the hub. It also appears that the 6 prongs are a tiny bit too small for the holes, so there is some movement there as well. These 2 things added together are making it feel like its moving alot. I havent ridden on it yet because I havent gotten to the store for cables and housing yet.

The rotor feels solid on the wheel and isn't moving forward and back any on the hub. This is happening on the front and rear wheel. I have a little experience with 6 bolt, but this is my first centerlock experience. Also, is there some better way of tightening the lockring other than using my hands? I dont recognize the tool that would fit into the piece to tighten it further.

Is this movement bad or is it supposed to be this way? If so, is there any way to fix this?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    Because of advice in this forum, I decided to buy DT Swiss centerlock adapters to put my new Avid rotors onto my new DT Swiss wheelset. Avid BB7 160mm rotor on a DT Swiss 340 hub.

I got all the pieces and assembled the rotor onto the wheel using the adapter. The adapter piece fits onto the centerlock portion of the hub. Then the rotor fits onto 6 prongs sticking up from that. Then the lockring screws into the hub, fitting over the rotor, holding it in place. Here is a picture:

The problem is, the rotor is shifting on me. If you are looking at the picture, it shifts from left to right rotationally, or right to left, just a little bit. Maybe 1mm. It appears as though the the adapter is not 100% snug on the hub. It also appears that the 6 prongs are a tiny bit too small for the holes, so there is some movement there as well. These 2 things added together are making it feel like its moving alot. I havent ridden on it yet because I havent gotten to the store for cables and housing yet.

The rotor feels solid on the wheel and isn't moving forward and back any on the hub. This is happening on the front and rear wheel. I have a little experience with 6 bolt, but this is my first centerlock experience. Also, is there some better way of tightening the lockring other than using my hands? I dont recognize the tool that would fit into the piece to tighten it further.

Is this movement bad or is it supposed to be this way? If so, is there any way to fix this?

Thanks
    This is normal, get used to it, there are no adverse effects. Braking forces are genrally in one direction only, so it'll shift over when you apply your brakes for the first time on a ride, and stay over.

Use a cassette lock ring tool to torque it to spec. For good measure, hold the rotor in the direction it will be pushed under during braking while tightening the lock ring.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    I just went to my LBS and they looked at me like I was stupid and sold me a cassette locking piece that tightened the lock ring. It is now tight and I am ready to go.

Ive never installed my own brakes before and Im a bit nervous, but should be a fun project, although probably really frustrating as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I just went to my LBS and they looked at me like I was stupid and sold me a cassette locking piece that tightened the lock ring. It is now tight and I am ready to go.

Ive never installed my own brakes before and Im a bit nervous, but should be a fun project, although probably really frustrating as well.
    You mean you did not have the tool to tighten the lockring properly?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You mean you did not have the tool to tighten the lockring properly?
    correct.

feel free to delete this thread since it was such a dumb, basic question

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    correct.

Wow! Darwin almost claims another one!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    thats the beauty of centerlock, even without the lockring they will still work and the rotor cant fall off

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Unless I am mistaken the rotor is held onto the adapter prongs by the lock ring. If the lock ring backs out far enough the rotor can potentially jump the prongs and freewheel on the hub so you lose breaking.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrner
    Unless I am mistaken the rotor is held onto the adapter prongs by the lock ring. If the lock ring backs out far enough the rotor can potentially jump the prongs and freewheel on the hub so you lose breaking.
    even without the locknut the rotor cant come off enough to dissengage, plus the brake pads will also hold it in position, try it and see

Meh.
    With a 6-bolt hub how often do all six rotor bolts manage to back out completely though?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    With a 6-bolt hub how often do all six rotor bolts manage to back out completely though?
    I agree, Im just pointing out an advantage for centerlock

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good picture. Helped me to choose DT before Shimanos adapter.
    About tighten the lockring, use tools and tighten it to 40Nm and I don't believe it would move 0,1mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cerro
    Good picture. Helped me to choose DT before Shimanos adapter.
    Penny for your thoughts cerro?

Just wondering what you liked in that picture with the DT Swiss adaptor. I personally use the Shimano, mostly because it uses steel pins instead of the aluminum ones on the DT Swiss. It also comes with Shimano's ubiquitous lock ring spacer which I believe is there to prevent excessive damage to the knurled surfaces of the lock ring and adaptor or cassette. Not that I'm trying to put down the DT Swiss or anything, which is going to be a lot lighter than the Shimano, but more curious than anything else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    greyhorse: Do you know the weight of the Shimanoadapter? I believe in DT because the simplicity, Shimano (and BBB) looks so heavy and ugly when I looked at it at my lbs yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cerro
    greyhorse: Do you know the weight of the Shimanoadapter? I believe in DT because the simplicity, Shimano (and BBB) looks so heavy and ugly when I looked at it at my lbs yesterday.
    The Shimano is heavy at 49g. The DT Swiss only weighs 29g. When they're mounted, I find the Shimanos to look sexy in a mean kinda way. They match the XT hubs I guess...
    Clear close up shots can be found here:

http://www.cb-asahi.co.jp/image/shim.../smrtad10.html

The DT Swiss is here:
    http://www.cb-asahi.co.jp/image/kaig...ckadaptor.html
    You can see the DT Swiss has a kind of satin polished look whereas the Shimano has a matte finish.

I can't weld
    I like to use these

or these instead

mmmmm.....pretty.... And no adapters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    correct.

Helped me 7 years down the road . Just bought my first bike, I know nothing!
    Now I'm buying the lock ring tool - getting it done =)

Sometimes it's hard to figure something needs tightening even though it says "40nm" on the thing ;D

First post registration from hell - TY bro/TY internet.

/TotalN00b