mtbr member

Loose Formula Pads

The pads in my RX calipers "jiggle" slightly on the pad pin. This looseness feels the same on both the front and rear calipers. When i apply light lever pressure, I can still feel them move when i rock the bike back and forth (almost like a loose headset feel). This goes away with firm lever pressue. Is this typical? I haven't had a set of Formulas in a while and I don't remember this occurring on my old K18s. And I haven't had the chance to ride the bike to get a sense of what it feels like while riding.

Plays with tools
    It's common with more than just Formula's

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My formula Rx's do that too. Awesome brake, love mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    When you replace the pads, see which spring has more tension. I have reused old springs because the one provided with the new set of pads either didn't fit properly or didn't have enough tension to push the pads into the piston

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys! I was at a LBS today and they had a bike that experienced this as well. I just wanted to check. Does this result in any excessive noise on the trail -either rattling or warbling?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've got a couple of sets of RO's and The Ones, all have this same movement and slight 'rattle' in the pads. I only notice when rocking the bike stationary, whilst riding, no noise or extra movement noticed. I also tried bending the return spring to give it more tension, but I didn't notice any difference.

The only time I hear noise from the brakes is when riding in really dusty areas, usually the rear brake is affected and makes a 'warbling' noise. The rattling is probably there but I can't hear it over general bike noise (cables moving, tires, chain slap...).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The movement and sound that you feel and hear while rocking the bike back and forth, will be non existent when using the brakes.

Under braking it is a uni directional force and therefore you will not get the same sounds.