mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Looking to upgrade rotors, what kind of adapter?

I have a 2011 Trek Cobia with a RockShox Recon 29 w/Solo Air Fork and Promax Hornet Hydro brakes. I am 6'8" and ~295lbs. The 160mm front brakes can't handle me. I wore through the pads in under 3 months and I am not getting the stopping power I want. So for now, to play it cheap, I want to just replace the pads, get a larger rotor, and a bracket to make the caliper fit. Problem is, I am a bit confused as to what adapter I need for the caliper.

I was looking at these...

Amazon.com: Avid CPS Disc Brake Mounting Bracket: Sports & Outdoors

However, I am confused as to what I need. The fork says post mount everywhere I have found online. The front tire is quick release though. I guess I am not sure what the difference is between front, front post, and front QR 20mm. Trying to decide what I need.

Any help would be appreciated. I searched through some threads here a bit, but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Forget about the QR20 adapter, you need a front Post Mount to Post Mount adapter.

Depending on what size rotor you are going to use you will need one of the following:
    180mm PM to PM adapter: Avid CPS Brake Mount (20mm POST / 20mm PM - 180 PM Front/160 PM Rear)
    185mm PM to PM adapter: Avid Mount Adaptor Front Post 185mm
    200mm PM to PM adapter: Avid CPS Brake Mount (40mm POST / 40mm PM - 200 PM Front/180 PM Rear)
    203mm PM to PM adapter: Avid Mount Adaptor Front Post 203mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am going from 160 to 203