mtbr member

Looking for some brake advice

A little background on myself. Back in the mid to late 90's I did quite a bit of racing and was quite into cycling. I progressed from Cantilevers to V-brakes and the last bike I owned in 2000 was Cannondale with Coda Competition disc brakes. Back then Disc brakes were rare, heavy and didn't have much more power then disc brakes (but they were cool). Then life caught up with me, I sold the bikes and moved on. Flash forward 11 years and I started road riding again and really caught the bug, now I'm starting to build an XC race bike for my big return next year.

I'm really struggling with which brakes to go with on my new ride. It looks like V-brakes aren't even an option any more but which discs do I go with? I don't mind spending more for good hydraulics if they are a lot better and make me faster. OR am I better off picking up some Avid BB7's and put the money into wheels or something else? How much better are todays brakes vs. brakes from 10 years ago? Are BB7's a lot better then V-Brakes?

I wouldn't consider myself a gram counter but I am conscious of weight and would like to keep my bike under 24lbs. Also, I'm not looking at racing Pro or riding on epic long decents. Just midwest XC riding with a lot of short and steep riding.

mtbr member
    I had hydraulics on my last bike. The upkeep was more than I was aware of. They were probably junk, but on the advice found here I went with the BB7's on my new bike.

I'm still in the break-in period, so I can't comment on the actual performance.

It is funny however, that the BB7 "break in" period is better than the Tektros I had.

So, from what I've read here, and everywhere, you cannot go wrong with the BB7's

There's a reason they can be found in almost every LBS
    2012 Trek Marlin BB7's / SD-7's, G3's, and Kenda Nevegals

My website: www.n2ovette.com

DH.FR.0ne
    I've been running BB7s for nearly 3 years now and they still have me stoked! They're more than ideal no matter what you'll ride. Infinately better than any V's or older disc setups.

In terms of weight, modern hydraulic calipers are mostly smaller in size and probably lighter, but I doubt the weight difference would be noticeable.

I run BB7s with sintered Fibrax pads and Avid SD7 levers- after playing with all the adjustments I got them perfectly dialled in. I can actually say I prefer the feel of these to Avid Codes and juicy 3s.

Huckin' trails
    BB7 are the best brake available right now, unless you are ready for wrenching and big money... There is so many hydro, but there's only one mech, the BB7. And unless you really want hydro or really NEED them, BB7 will get you there in no time and for a long time.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    If all you are doing is light XC then V brakes are fine. The only difficulty is that these days the forks and wheel-sets don't allow for them. So BB7 would be a good option. Do not waste your money on BB5. If you want really nice hydro brakes then Shimano XT possibly.

DH.FR.0ne
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    BB7 are the best brake available right now, unless you are ready for wrenching and big money... There is so many hydro, but there's only one mech, the BB7. And unless you really want hydro or really NEED them, BB7 will get you there in no time and for a long time.

David
    Well said +1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In the UK we can get good ish quality Shimano Deore say which works great, or Avid Juicy 3's for the same price as the BB7's, the modulation is just soooo much better, much more accurate in use aswell.

My cheap hack bike Tektro's ran for 18months all through the winter and those ceramic pads survived and still have loads of life on them, not 1 issue with them.