mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Looking at Replacing Juicy Ultimates?

I'm looking at replacing my Juicy Ultimates with either Marta SL's or Formula R1's? Any opinions or suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    how much for those brakes?
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Fueled by Tigerblood
    just gonna ask too, are you wanting to sell your old ones?

but check out hope's too, there awsome, and reasonably light

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    I'm looking at replacing my Juicy Ultimates with either Marta SL's or Formula R1's? Any opinions or suggestions?

You're not alone. I know several people who are pondering the EXACT same situation for next season. Between the Marta SL magnesium, and the R1's... Both going to be fairly pricey options though... and I'm still curious if Formula will still be selling all of their rotors and adapters separate from the lever/line/caliper, as they have in the past within north America... I believe their rotors are manufactured by Hope as well (could be wrong), very nice looking, and light (not as light as stan, but still light).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you start to see Avid phasing out the "juicy" line-up, or at most, simply keeping them around for OEM use, and eventually replacing higher end after-market with renditions of the Elixir... but we'll see.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Fueled by Tigerblood
    dang, nice post answer bikesatori!!

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikecrazy55
    dang, nice post answer bikesatori!!

haha, thanks...
    Just typing down the random thoughts shooting through my mind.

Oh yeah... one more thing to take into account. If you run SRAM shifters with a "Matchmaker" on your Ultimates, you will no longer be able to have that integration with the Magura Marta SL. But, with Formula you can still run their version of the clamp called the "MixMaster", which will keep your bar from excess clutter, and also shave just a few grams too.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    My vote goes for the R1. I've been running the Oro Puros for a while now and I love them. I'll probably pick up a set of R1s when it's time for a new bike. Yes, I am a Formula fanboy, but they have been awesome to me. I had a set of Juicy Ultimates before and they were a huge let down.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieXCRacer
    I had a set of Juicy Ultimates before and they were a huge let down.

Just a bit curious as to what made you feel they were a "huge let down"?
    I've used ultimates, as well as brakes from every other manufacturer on the market over the past couple of decades, and I am by no means the largest fan of the Ultimates, but still, I felt they managed to hold their own pretty well... and that was with a 140mm rear rotor too.
    Again, like I said, just curious. can't say the Ultimates are actually "the ultimate" in any way, but didnt' see them as a complete failure either, and honestly, I haven't come across too many people who would disagree either.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I wanna go fast!
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Just a bit curious as to what made you feel they were a "huge let down"?
    I've used ultimates, as well as brakes from every other manufacturer on the market over the past couple of decades, and I am by no means the largest fan of the Ultimates, but still, I felt they managed to hold their own pretty well... and that was with a 140mm rear rotor too.
    Again, like I said, just curious. can't say the Ultimates are actually "the ultimate" in any way, but didnt' see them as a complete failure either, and honestly, I haven't come across too many people who would disagree either.
    Well, they are a top dollar (although not as much as the Oro Puro, my main reason for not getting them to begin with) XC brake, which I would expect to be flawless in performance. My brakes, from day one, were noisy, would not stay adjusted when tightened to the specified torques, and were not very powerful. I could get the brakes dialed perfectly before a race, and then halfway into the race they would be rubbing, making weird noises during braking, and losing power. I tried bleeding, switching pads, switching rotors, switching DOT fluid...I was at the end of my rope...so I sold them, and bought some Puros...and they were amazing right out of the box. They are everything a top of the line XC brake should be. Just my opinion.