mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Looking for reliability and high braking force

I am on a solar racing car team which uses hydraulic bike brakes because our vehicles are extremely light weight and we need to use the lightest available parts.
    For the last few vehicles, we have used Hope C2 calipers because they are extremely reliable, can produce high braking forces, and we have custom designed mounts to make them fit our wheels. We also use Tilton 77 master cylinders to convert to a foot instead of hand brake. We also cannot use the provided master cylinders because each master cylinder is attached to two calipers, so we need to use the Tilton 77s for higher volume.

Hope C2s are getting increasingly difficult to buy because they are no longer manufactured, so we would like to try new calipers. We have tried the Hope M4s, but we have had retraction issues if they get over extended because we make our own rotors which are thinner than the issued rotors.

I am looking for suggestions on a light weight, highly reliable caliper with the highest possible braking force. The retraction method should be internal to the caliper and not rely on a spring in the master cylinder.
    We would also like a caliper with a wide rotor opening and plenty of travel to limit the possibility of dragging the rotor on the caliper. Even a single Watt is too much loss from a dragging rotor.
    Cost is basically not an issue.

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like what Formula offers in weight/strength
    Formula R1's opinions

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Can you use mineral oil with those master cylinders? If so I really like the magura line of brakes. If you have to stick with dot fluid then I second the formula suggestion.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

T.W.O.
    Most Downhill/free ride brake systems would be a good match. Highest force available would be Formula the one with 220mm rotor. Larger rotor helps. For brute force I want to say Magura Gustav. Shimano Saint also another good choice.

How much does it weight, how do you configure the brake, is it 2 or 4 rotor. It's very interesting.

From experience, Hope is the prettiest but somewhat lack in power when compare to other in the same class. If you want the max clearance you'd want the brake that offers pad adjustment on the lever.

This is very interesting please let us know how it goes. You can also contact Jude at Magura USA, he's very resourceful, and he can help you with your situation.

mtbr member
    Bike Radar did a test on various brakes.

These rated well for cost v stopping power.
    "in fact, only the heavyweight four-pot Saint and (soon to be released) Formula One 10 brakes, which are both more than twice as expensive, beat it on the dyno"
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Isn't the Hope C2 a closed system brake, ie no reservior in the master cyclinder (MC) to accommodate fluid expansion due to heat, and no auto pad adjustment?

The Hope M4 is an open system brake. The caliper is intended to be used with a MC that has a fluid reservior - is there a reservior on the Tilton 77 master cylinder as I don't see it on the Tilton website.

Also, as I recall, closed system brakes often operate at lower pressures than their open system counterparts.

In any case, I would try to contact Hope UK and see if they are willing to help you with your project.

Members who have read this thread: 0