mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Looking for pics of v brake boosters

Looking for pics of your brake booster. Having trouble with my install on a set of xt v brakes (m739). Love to see details of the spacer area.

Thanks
    chikai

The Mud Stud
    Just so you know...its 2011 now...in case you were asleep ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ha. Thanks. It was a craigslist pick up and it doesnt have rear disc bolt holes.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chikai
    Looking for pics of your brake booster. Having trouble with my install on a set of xt v brakes (m739). Love to see details of the spacer area.

Thanks
    chikai
    No pics, but the spacers (if needed) usually go between the caliper and the booster.

I've used brake boosters on several frames and forks, and they can make a HUGE difference. I am surprised they never caught on more.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Did a google search, 1st thing to pop up will this help

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe V
    Did a google search, 1st thing to pop up will this help
    Nice

So, to the spacer issue, in the pic above there is just a washer between the booster and calipers. In some cases, the booster might need to be spaced out a little farther, so you might have a spacer in there.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Wow, that rim looks pretty scary! I'm guessing that brake pads last about a day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    Wow, that rim looks pretty scary! I'm guessing that brake pads last about a day...
    It is a trials bike with the braking surface ground for texture. no modulation, just full grab.

To the OP, I have xt v-brakes on one of my frames, no booster on right now, but I do have one. I seem to remember spacers maybe a little less than a half inch between the caliper and the booster. The paralellogram mechinism on the xt brakes sticks out quite a bit so you need to make sure your spacers give enough clearance between the booster and the brake arm so they don't bind.

edit:

threw the booster on my bike tonight and snapped a couple pics. Spacer is about 5/16" but could be a bit thinner, but not much.

Last edited by slider32; 03-31-2011 at 05:48 PM.