mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Looking for new hydraulics but dont no what to go for

Hi im trying to find a pair of hydraulic brakes what are easy to bleed as i have got the clarks s2 at the moment and there giving me problems, i have been looking at the shimano deore 2012 m596 but dont no if there any good becuase no reviews of them about and i have seen the slx m665 on ebay for a set at 94.99 but i dont no if they are any good and dont no if there the old slx or not because someone told me that they are the 2010/2011 version and i dont no what avid is like because never used them before any advice would be greatful.Thanks

mtbr member
    Read the threads in this section. Your question has been asked and answered many times.

If you have the money 2012 Shimano XT get rave reviews but again some don't like them.

Shimano SLX M666 2012 almost the same as the XT's

Not sure I have read anything really bad about the SLX M665 (older model). if they are a lot cheaper get these.

I suspect the 2012 deore will be ok (related to the 2012 XT. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews out there yet.

you use so from UK?

also look at Starbike and bike24 for prices.

Me I would get a pair of Avid Elixir 1 (2012 model) from CRC if I needed a budget set of brakes. Many others will say NO. Some positive threads about them on this forum (some bad ones too) just scroll down the page a little to find
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    yes im from the UK the slx 665 are the older model i think ive read a few reviews that they are excellent and some have said they dont work very good so dont no what to go for

LightJunction.com
    I'm an XT fan. They're fairly simple to bleed and have good power and modulation for a variety of riding styles. That being said, Avid's bleed system is by far my favorite. If easy bleeding is a priority, I'd check out some of their Elixir options.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I replaced Elixer 1's with SLX 665's and in my experience there's no comparison. I have them set up for one finger 180/160 and I couldn't ask for anything more reliable.

My wife has Elixer 1's that work ok for her with the 180/160 HS1 takeoffs from my bike. She weighs 100 pounds less, and rides 3/4 as hard thou. She wasn't really confident with the 160 front rotor, which wasn't a surprise since I wanted more power with a 180.

Maybe the Elixers need to break in, but after trying 2 sets I'm not impressed.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    My current favorite is the Hygia brakes. You didn't specify the type of riding you'll be doing, but I have a set of the SL brakes which are very lightweight for XC racing, and perform awesome. They use the Avid bleed system, and are easy to bleed. I replaced my hoses with some lightweight Discobrakes hoses, and had them both bled and ready to run in 1/2 hour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plstrns View Post
    I replaced Elixer 1's with SLX 665's and in my experience there's no comparison. I have them set up for one finger 180/160 and I couldn't ask for anything more reliable.

My wife has Elixer 1's that work ok for her with the 180/160 HS1 takeoffs from my bike. She weighs 100 pounds less, and rides 3/4 as hard thou. She wasn't really confident with the 160 front rotor, which wasn't a surprise since I wanted more power with a 180.

Maybe the Elixers need to break in, but after trying 2 sets I'm not impressed.
    You probably found that this is because SLX's are roughly the equivalent to an elixir 5 in my opinion. The elixir 1's are such a low entry level hydro brake and they have not feature other than avids taperbore technology. I wouldnt take the elixirs out of the question if you only used the 1's tho mate, i run elixir 7's and they are amazing. Sure they're a ***** to bleed but i'd happily say they would give a set of XT's a run for their money!!