mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Looking at Magura MT2 brakes

Do they make their brakes interchangeable for front or rear? When I look them up...there is only one size. Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Same F/R. Only need to choose rotor size and then what adapter to purchase to fit your fork/frame.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    The MT2 is the best deal out there, inexpensive, newest technology and real good performer whether lightly braking or heavy handed-ness. Solid!

Thanks for your interest in Magura!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have some that are going on my bike tomorrow or this weekend, if they're as good as my Marta SLs I'll be VERY happy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Let me know how you like them please

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'll post initial impressions about them once I get a ride or two in on my usual loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I got mine on my bike last night, but I just zip tied the extra hose up because I am waiting to see if my friend can help me out with shortening them. Anyway, the brakes seem awesome after my first ride. Braking performance is better than the stock Avids, they actually work!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I just installed them on my bike as a stock Shimano Deore upgrade, and they are a very welcome addition to my bike! They look awesome, weigh next to nothing and have a solid feel. I am having some big issues with squealing from both front and back brakes. Anyone else with this problem or ideas on how to fix it???

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I generally ride my mountain bike 3-4 times per week, road bike the rest of the days, so I think I have given myself enough riding time for an initial review. I am a happy Marta SL user (on my other bike) and I have to say that the MT2 doesn't disappoint in anyway.

I'm running a 160/140 on my 29er ht and power is abundant. I've been going down a few new and steep trails with confidence, which I wasn't able to do with the Avids that the MT2s replaced. For the price the MT2 is an awesome deal. No vibration or squealing + brakes that work = money well spent.

Here are a few pictures:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ok guys, I wanted to upgrade the brakes on my 2012 bad boy 5 and purchased a pair of magura mt2's. Here's my question, do I need to purchase magura's brake adapters or can I use the stock one's (160mm)? Stocks are the shimano m446 hydraulic disk brakes.

Thanks in advance for the help

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello Solo808

You should be fine with the stock adapters from Shimano. I find sometimes that an adapter has some particular shape that conflicts with our caliper or visa versa but it's rare.
    Give it a try and if there is a fit problem, adapters are easy to find and inexpensive.

We only test our adapters and do not know about all other Shimano adapters (most however) and such but let us all know and thanks for considering MT2!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks jude,

I'll go ahead and order the sl rotors, didnt want to spend an extra $16 or so if I didnt need to
    Last edited by Solo808; 04-25-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo