mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looking for budget freeride brake to replace hayes HFX 9

I'm looking to replace the Hayes HFX 9 front brake on my wildcard. With 6" rotors, the modulation is good, but the power is less than that of v-brakes..

So, I'm looking to replace just the front brake with a good quality, yet not necessarily too expensive brake. I ride some freeride, but mostly XC/trail. I'd like to keep the budget <$100, but might be willing to do a little more. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by schlockinz; 04-03-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Avid BB7's or Hayes MX-6. These two brakes are quite good especially at their respective price point. Although I would recommend moving to a 7 or 8 inch front rotor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Why not just put some 8" adapters and rotors on it?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it but, there is really nothing wrong with hayes 9's.
    Pretty good, low maintenance, brakes imho.

sam

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm just worried that I'll get a new set of pads, new adapters, new rotors and still have brakes that are only so-so at best

it looks like about $50-$60 for new pads, rotors, and adapter. I could also get an elixir 5 for about $100, or a code for about $150. I'm just not sure if sticking with the HFX will be a wise choice in the long run.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im in the same situation. I have the Hayes S0LE brakes, what im hoping to do is spend some money on the set of Avid Elixir 3's i have had bad problems with Hayes brakes and a couple of my buddies have switched to Avid. Lets say that they are not looking to go back to Hayes.

Go to a site and look at brakes at your price range and then come back to Mtbr and look at some reviews and go from there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz
    I'm just worried that I'll get a new set of pads, new adapters, new rotors and still have brakes that are only so-so at best

it looks like about $50-$60 for new pads, rotors, and adapter. I could also get an elixir 5 for about $100, or a code for about $150. I'm just not sure if sticking with the HFX will be a wise choice in the long run.
    I think you answered your own question.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I run a 180mm rotor up front with my 9s and they are problem free.
    This is what I put up front http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDeta...Rotor-180mm-PM

Just make sure to get the correct adapter for your fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Decided to try them again with a V8 rotor and some new pads.

Hopefully I did something dumb and just contaminated the pads.

The debate after that is whether to stick with Hayes if I've still got no luck, or switch to Avid.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz
    I'm looking to replace the Hayes HFX 9 front brake on my wildcard. With 6" rotors, the modulation is good, but the power is less than that of v-brakes..
    This makes no sense at all; clean the rotors (sand them), new pads / bake and sand pads, and possibly bleed. HFX9s are bar-flippers for sure, they just need a little maintenance after probably not being touched since you got them. There is no brake as good as the HFX9 for the price IMO ... I have HFX9s on my DH rig after my Codes nearly killed me (which my Juicy 7s nearly killed me as well previous to that).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So, I've gone to 8" rotors and replaced the pads. The brakes aren't bedded yet, but the power has significantly improved. Not bar flipping yet, but we'll see what happens once they bed.

It looked as if someone spilled motor oil on the pads (oil all over them) when I took them off. Makes me wonder how the shop bled the lines...

If this doesn't work I may be going to stroker aces and use the hfx 9 on my xc bike.
    Last edited by schlockinz; 04-14-2011 at 06:36 AM.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT and transferred the HFX 9's from my old bike. They don't have any adjustments, but I think they work great. I also put an 185mm rotor on the front and run the 160mm on the rear. I bled the brakes using a high performance Motul brake fluid that I use on my motorcycles. I have had good luck and I'm not a small guy. I was thinking of upgrading to the Primes, but they aren't flip-flop style, I run the front on the right side, so I'm debating now.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird
    I ride a Santa Cruz Blur LT and transferred the HFX 9's from my old bike. They don't have any adjustments, but I think they work great. I also put an 185mm rotor on the front and run the 160mm on the rear. I bled the brakes using a high performance Motul brake fluid that I use on my motorcycles. I have had good luck and I'm not a small guy. I was thinking of upgrading to the Primes, but they aren't flip-flop style, I run the front on the right side, so I'm debating now.
    you can order them so the front is on the right and left is rear via chainreaction

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Unscrew the line and screw it into the other brake; probably won't even need to be rebled.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler243
    you can order them so the front is on the right and left is rear via chainreaction
    Just saw that! O.k., now we're talkin'. Thanks, Tyler243.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset