mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Looking for a 6 bolt to center lock solution

Just got a sweet deal on some xtr brakes and center lock rotors. I have 6 bolt hubs. Where do I find a 6 bolt to Center lock adapter to fit the rotors...I see there are center lock to 6 bolt but can't find the adapter to accept my center lock rotors.

29er
    Apr 2010
    i don't think it is possible

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    It's physically impossible to mount a centrelock rotor on a 6 bolt hub and keep it in the correct position where it'd be centred in the brake caliper and it wouldn't rub on the fork or frame.

turtles make me hot
    Just get some 6 bolt rotors. Sorry.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone have a chance to get their hands on a new Shimano Saint heat sinked rotor and maybe set a 6-bolt pattern rotor over it to see if there is enough material to machine the 6-bolt pattern into it?

I ask this as I know the Saint center lock has a larger than std center loc diameter and I have yet to get my hands on one and am wondering if there is enough material there to do this.

If anyone has the two rotors and can do this and take a picture that would be great.

I guess any Saint rotor would work for the test. The larger dia hole is the concern.

The new Saint super duper heat sinked rotors are currently only available in the Saint center lock style.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Anyone have a chance to get their hands on a new Shimano Saint heat sinked rotor and maybe set a 6-bolt pattern rotor over it to see if there is enough material to machine the 6-bolt pattern into it?

I ask this as I know the Saint center lock has a larger than std center loc diameter and I have yet to get my hands on one and am wondering if there is enough material there to do this.

If anyone has the two rotors and can do this and take a picture that would be great.

I guess any Saint rotor would work for the test. The larger dia hole is the concern.

The new Saint super duper heat sinked rotors are currently only available in the Saint center lock style.

Thanks
    An interesting solution to a problem that may not really exist....

Have you been experiencing fade issues that makes you feel the need for the finned saint rotors for larger cooling capacity? Personally I would not bother with the time/cost of machining and just use a pair of the ice-tech XT rotors

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

Thanks
    Look at how thick the centre or this rotor is.

If you did drill 6 holes into that rotor would it seat on a 6 bolt hub in the correct position as a 6 bolt rotor would ?

Would it line up with the brake caliper as a 6 bolt rotor would ?

Would the modified rotor rub on the frame or fork ?

I'd say the answers to those questions would be NO, NO and probably YES.

Last edited by cobba; 12-20-2012 at 06:27 PM.

29er
    Apr 2010
    the offset is probably different

29er
    Apr 2010
    you are also assuming the aluminum center is perfectly flat

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    the offset is probably different
    Centrelock rotors are definitely offset, you can see how much a 6 bolt rotor is packed out on the centrelock adapter in this photo and this photo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I like Centerlock, actually, I'll say I prefer it. But I don't know why you'd want to try and retrofit a centerlock rotor to a 6-bolt hub. They do make Icetech rotors in 6-bolt. Is there any difference between a Saint rotor and an XT or an XTR? Aside from a few grams?

*edit* I see there is a difference with the Freeza stuff. Sorry. I suppose now is not a good time to say, get some centerlock wheels?
    Last edited by jochribs; 12-21-2012 at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The wavy "fins" on the inside of the brake track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Centrelock rotors are definitely offset, you can see how much a 6 bolt rotor is packed out on the centrelock adapter in this photo and this photo.
    So you are saying it may be possible?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    So you are saying it may be possible?
    No.

The centrelock adapters simply show how much the flat 6 bolt rotor needs to be packed out so it'll work with a centrelock hub.

The centrelock rotor isn't a flat rotor, it doesn't need packing out to fit on a centrelock hub like the 6 bolt rotor does.

Drilling 6 holes into a centrelock rotor and putting it onto a 6 bolt hub would be like putting a 6 bolt rotor onto a 6 bolt hub but putting about 10mm of spacers between the hub and the rotor.

mtbr member
    No.

The centrelock adapters simply show how much the flat 6 bolt rotor needs to be packed out so it'll work with a centrelock hub.

The centrelock rotor isn't a flat rotor, it doesn't need packing out to fit on a centrelock hub like the 6 bolt rotor does.

Drilling 6 holes into a centrelock rotor and putting it onto a 6 bolt hub would be like putting a 6 bolt rotor onto a 6 bolt hub but putting about 10mm of spacers between the hub and the rotor.
    I know - I apologize my post was supposed to be sarcastic.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's a bummer for the 6-bolt guys that Shimano isn't offering that rotor in 6-bolt. Maybe in the future? It seems logical that those wavy aluminum extensions would really help radiate heat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eggdog View Post
    Just got a sweet deal on some xtr brakes and center lock rotors. I have 6 bolt hubs. Where do I find a 6 bolt to Center lock adapter to fit the rotors...I see there are center lock to 6 bolt but can't find the adapter to accept my center lock rotors.
    You have only two choices:
    Get 6-bolt rotors
    or
    Get wheels with Centerlock hubs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone have the Saint center lock bore dimeter? The new Saint Bore is bigger than standard stuff. I will surf the Shimano site when I get some time to see if I can get the actual dimension. But, if anyone knows offhand that would be great.

That dimension is all I need to determine if there is enough material there so I can get the Saint super duper heat sinked rotor to work easily with 6-bolt. Otherwise I will have to go to plan "B" which is to machine a new carrier.

The thickness of the carrier not an issue as I can machine that as needed. It is good that it has lots of material to work with. It is just the bore diameter that is the concern.

Not interested in building a new wheel with a Saint hub as it will be used on a mountain tandem. My Chris King tandem duty hub with stainless steel drive shell is the right hub for this purpose and has been holding up well for a number of years now.

Guess I just bite the bullet and buy the rotor and do whatever I need to do. Just wanted to see if it was a simple quickie modificationn or a bit more involved.

No offense intened but I do have options other than what Shiggy has posted. Making stuff is always fun provided one can find some spare time. Sounds like new carrier it is.

Steve

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Small centrelock spline = 35mm
    Large centrelock spline = 47mm
    6 Bolt BCD = 44mm

Post some photos of your handiwork when it's done.

Last edited by cobba; 01-10-2013 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Post some photos of your handiwork when it's done.
    +1 on that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cobba,
    Thanks for the spline dimensions.
    Steve

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Does anyone have the Saint center lock bore dimeter? The new Saint Bore is bigger than standard stuff. I will surf the Shimano site when I get some time to see if I can get the actual dimension. But, if anyone knows offhand that would be great.

That dimension is all I need to determine if there is enough material there so I can get the Saint super duper heat sinked rotor to work easily with 6-bolt. Otherwise I will have to go to plan "B" which is to machine a new carrier.

The thickness of the carrier not an issue as I can machine that as needed. It is good that it has lots of material to work with. It is just the bore diameter that is the concern.

Not interested in building a new wheel with a Saint hub as it will be used on a mountain tandem. My Chris King tandem duty hub with stainless steel drive shell is the right hub for this purpose and has been holding up well for a number of years now.

Guess I just bite the bullet and buy the rotor and do whatever I need to do. Just wanted to see if it was a simple quickie modificationn or a bit more involved.

No offense intened but I do have options other than what Shiggy has posted. Making stuff is always fun provided one can find some spare time. Sounds like new carrier it is.

Steve
    The original Saint CL was 47mm spline.

The current Saint CL is the same 35mm spline as everything else.

Machine the new carrier. I would not trust a drilled stock carrier on a tandem, or even a single mtb.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    you are also assuming the aluminum center is perfectly flat

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, Stevoo, there was an older centerlock spec that's no longer used. If it's new and says Centerlock, it works with center lock.

Yes, the Saint hub lockring is different. Shimano uses a HG splined lockring for QR axle hubs, and a 16 splined external BB lockring for thru-axle hubs. It is only the lockring that's different.