mtbr member

Longer Levers for 2012 XT M785??

Like the brakes, but I'm not sold on the short levers, I use two fingers and have big hands so I need longer levers. Very nice units, just need some fine tuning

Not very impressed with the organic pads, hopefully the sintered has more bite

staike
    I don't know if you can get the levers by themselves, but they do make longer ones.

Shimano XT Scheibenbremse BL-T785 Modell 2012 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

Do you have weak fingers or something? You're the first one I've heard that needs more than one finger to operate them. What size rotors are you running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Before you ditch the levers/brakes, try installing or shortening grips, even 0.5cm will make a difference.

I've always used 2 fingers, and after switching to new deore lever, I am finding myself using only one, although I am not there yet I see myself single digit in some time.

11 is one louder than 10
    Agree,

I tried the brakes, and they are very nice. But, I use grip shift and found the levers to be too short so I returned the brakes to performance (love that return policy). Back using my M775 brakes as I dig the lever length. I've been kicking around seeing if the new caliper and the old levers will work well (and give the added power of the 785 series). Wondering if the extra power is more a result of the caliper, or the levers on the 785's.

That german site looks like much longer levers, maybe too much? Loved the 775 levers.

Would love for an aftermarket company to design a slightly longer lever for the 785 series.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by staikeinthahood View Post
    I don't know if you can get the levers by themselves, but they do make longer ones.

Shimano XT Scheibenbremse BL-T785 Modell 2012 - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

Do you have weak fingers or something? You're the first one I've heard that needs more than one finger to operate them. What size rotors are you running?
    I have 180s, no fingers are fine, if the entire lever was 1/2 inch longer all would be good. I (wear a a xxl or xxxl glove )I brake pretty hard on the front hopefully the sintered pads have more bite that would help. I come from a motorcycle road racing background, where we brake very hard (with two fingers) entering corners, so maybe my expectations are too high.

mtbr member
    You should try and tweak the brakes, they were designed for one finger braking, hence the short lever. The sintered pads are typically better in all the cases I have heard, but I have never had an issue with power on the xtr ones. I have with fade on a downhill ride, but not the power.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a set of 2010 XT/Saint Brake levers (servo wave) that I am looking to swap out. Easier to bleed and longer handles if you are intersted in a trade. bstaber@comcast.net. I just found the bl m785 levers on ebay for 38.00 shipped (each side). I am gonna jump on those and try em out. Anyone else try matching 2012 levers with 2010 calipers???