Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Long DH, brake fluid heats up, lever loose modulation.

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  PitchCrew 
#1 ·
This is on Avid Elixir 7 SL brake. Will bleeding the brake helps or should I just toss these crappy Avid brakes altogether?

Basically I was told the fluid heats up and cost the lever to have less travel distance before the piston contacts the disc. This only happens on long steep downhills where I drag the brake more.

Any advice is appreciated. If bleeding will cure this, it will save me a few bucks.

#5 ·
Unortunatly i already spend 200 bucks on slx disc brake. The cqble for the back is too short. So now i am faced with either bleeding existing brake for 45 bucks, or have the shop replace slx brake cable for labor of 45 and new cable for 54. Thats a good 100 bucks more.

I m tempted to just bleed the existing avid brakes and install the slx on my other hardtail

G
#7 ·
braking technique is a key when riding long steep descents. You mention dragging them which can lead to loss of lever regardless of brand/type.
As a suggestion try on off on off type braking which will not build as much heat compared to a constant drag.

#9 ·
bad riding technique, may be. But this is a very very steep section of the hill when most hikers are barely walking down. Is steep and off camber, filled with babyhead size rocks everywhere.

I find a moving track stand a good way of describing decending it. May be if on a DH bike with 2.5 tires it is better. But me on trail bike sort of equal dragging brake most of the way down.

And yes, the SLX apparently takes a special cable. One shop quoted 54, another quoted 46, and one shop simply doesn't have it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.