mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Long azz elixir lines!

So i put a set of Elixirs on my bike and the hoses are about 18 feet to long. lol Has anyone tried to cut down Elixir lines yet? Does the Avid bleed kit work as advertised for these brakes? Anything else i will need??

Thanks,
    Jason

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    I was sent a bleed kit from SRAM/Avid a couple months ago as part of a warranty deal, and the manual goes over bleeding Elixers. I would take this to mean that the kit includes all the do-dads, thingamajiggers, and whatchamacallits to do so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Cool, thanks.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Sad part is that looking at bike photos it seems 99% of people leave the brake hoses too long. And they're not hard to shorten up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I installed a rear Elixer CR and the hose was a little long. I cut a few inches off, then used the Avid bleed kit I had from my Juicy 7's. It worked just fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just got a pair of Elixir CRs and the rear is just barely long enough, the front though is way too long. This is my first pair of Avid hydros so it's time to pick up a bleed kit.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    Perhaps, Sean, you have them switched around?

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSoda
    Perhaps, Sean, you have them switched around?
    Sounds likely. Though if the front brake is long enough to work as a rear thats still a long-ass front brake!

My buddy has Elixer CR's on his jump bike and he loves having long hoses so he can spin his bars.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nope, they are not switched. The rear is longer than the front, the front is just too long and needs a trim.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I don't know applicable this is but when I bought my Juicy's, I talked to Avid/SRAM about the length hosing. The person told me that the Juicy's were made with a few different hose lengths for the front/rear. Which explained to me why some people never had to cut the front down and some had some really long hoses. Maybe that's the same way with the Elixirs. The woman said that there was no way to tell which one you got....which seems lame to me because it wouldn't be that hard to label the boxes with the hose lengths.