Thread: Loctite?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Loctite?

Got a new wheel, and I was wondering if I need to put locktight on the bolts that hold the brake rotor on. There was some from the factory but it is necessary or should I just check them often?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster
    Got a new wheel, and I was wondering if I need to put locktight on the bolts........... is necessary or should I just check them often?
    You should do one or the other. I use Loctite. Mine are Torx bit. Seeing how I don't know anybody who carries a T25 Torx bit driver with them on rides I'd rather just set them and forget them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, thanks alot.

mtbr member
    I dont bother using applying new loctite - however I do use this great tool called a torque wrench. It tightens the bolts to manufacture specifications. Fantastic thing is using it I have never stripped a bolt, or had a bolt loosen off (to get my moneys worth out of the torque wrench I periodically use it to check the torques on key areas of the bike)

And my multi-tool does have a t25 bit in it for on the trail emergencies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well with a no name bike like mine I didn't get any manufatureres specifications or I would use one of my torque wrenches.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well with a no name bike like mine I didn't get any manufatureres specifications or I would use one of my torque wrenches.
    The torque spec is, often times, printed on the rotor. If there's no torque spec printed on your rotor, shoot for 55 in-lbs.

I think using blue threadlocker on the rotor bolts is a good idea anyway.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    You gotta figure with that small aluminum hole, the torque will be small. Just go around the rotor tightening each bolt a little at a time like you would a car wheel or a cylinder head. I use Loctite. The blue stuff. DON'T use the red. You'll never get it back off. I ride dirt bikes, and use blue Loctite on almost every bolt and nut on the bike. Mountain bikes see similar type of terrain and vibrations just not the same magnitude.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Torque Wrench

[QUOTE=006_007]I dont bother using applying new loctite - however I do use this great tool called a torque wrench. It tightens the bolts to manufacture specifications. Fantastic thing is using it I have never stripped a bolt, or had a bolt loosen off (to get my moneys worth out of the torque wrench I periodically use it to check the torques on key areas of the bike)
    QUOTE]

+1,000 on the Torque Wrench......

Lots of info on sites like the Park Tool site with torque settings for bike bolts.

I had a stem creak..... Bolts felt tight but weren't torqued up correctly. Once torqued up all good.....
    Last edited by Big T42; 08-26-2009 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Used the blue stuff, its medium, reds heavy duty right?

EDR
    reds heavy duty right?
    Si. I use it everywhere. Chainrings, rotor bolts, shock bolts, der. hanger, etc, etc, etc.

turtles make me hot
    Awesome thing about Loctite is that it keeps air and moisture from ever getting in the threads, so they stay nice and clean and never corrode. Perfect for mountain bikes.
    I like turtles