mtbr member

Are lockrings supplied w/ Simano 6-bolt adapters able to be used on CL rotors ???

Looking for some quick help here. I just began building up my Top Fuel 8 this afternoon in preparation for a big ride I have this weekend, only to realize I do not have Center Lock lockrings for my XX 185s / Elixir CR brakeset. (going on DT 240S / Bontrager RXL wheels).

Naturally, my work does not carry or stock Lockrings individually (of course! ugh). HOWEVER, we do carry the Shimano 6-Bolt adapter kits pictured below;

Of course, the adapter kits even cost less than an individual lockring would cost me by itself. (! )

So my question is; Do the lockrings included in these 6 bolt adapter kits differ from those you buy individually? WIll I have any issues using the lockrings with my DT240/XX rotors?

Thank you very much in advance! I will be crushed if this issue keeps me from riding the new build this weekend....

mtbr member
    FWIW, JensonUSA is selling individual lockrings that appear to be identical to the one in the 6bolt adapter kit;
    Shimano Centerlock Lockring > Components > Brakes > Brake Adapters | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Last edited by Bobby12many; 06-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    I overlayed the 2 pictures in Photoshop and they appear to be the exact same size and width.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many View Post

Looking for some quick help here. I just began building up my Top Fuel 8 this afternoon in preparation for a big ride I have this weekend, only to realize I do not have Center Lock lockrings for my XX 185s / Elixir CR brakeset. (going on DT 240S / Bontrager RXL wheels).

Naturally, my work does not carry or stock Lockrings individually (of course! ugh). HOWEVER, we do carry the Shimano 6-Bolt adapter kits pictured below;

Of course, the adapter kits even cost less than an individual lockring would cost me by itself. (! )

So my question is; Do the lockrings included in these 6 bolt adapter kits differ from those you buy individually? WIll I have any issues using the lockrings with my DT240/XX rotors?

Thank you very much in advance! I will be crushed if this issue keeps me from riding the new build this weekend....
    IIRC that type of lockring works only with QR hubs. The hole is too small for the through axle models.

May need the external type:
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    IIRC that type of lockring works only with QR hubs. The hole is too small for the through axle models.

May need the external type:
    I am going to be running 9mm QRs F/R, so that shouldn't be an issue. Wheels are built around 2008 model Bontrager RXL Hubs (Bonty branded DT 240s), 2010 RXL Hoops, DT SS bladed spokes (eyeleted).

WIth a bit more searching the forum I did find this info posted back in 2008;

Quote Originally Posted by greyhorse
    Outer Diameters:

11T lockring - 3.5 cm
    Shimano CL adaptor lockring - 4.3 cm
    Shimano CL rotor lockring - 4.0 cm
    Based on that info (if accurate) the adapter lockring should actually be a bit more supportive than the normal rotor lockring, considering its slightly larger diameter.

THoughts?

Thanks for your input Shiggy. You are always helpful.

mtbr member
    Just to clarify this is for a pre-ABP Top Fuel 8 i am building.

mtbr member
    Well, I ordered a pair of the adapters. I will post an update later this evening to share whether they worked out or not.

mtbr member
    Well, the lockring that came with the adapters worked just fine. I also used the supplied washer that came with the kit.

If anyone is interested in the 6bolt adapter pieces and c-clips, let me know as I have zero use for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many View Post
    Well, the lockring that came with the adapters worked just fine. I also used the supplied washer that came with the kit.

If anyone is interested in the 6bolt adapter pieces and c-clips, let me know as I have zero use for them.
    Yes, I do.

PM me. I can purchase or trade stuff.

mtbr member
    PM Sent