mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Loan me a Shimano hose shortening block?

i want to shorten my brake hoses but my brakes (SLX/XT BH-90) didn't come with the little block used to "clap" the hose during olive installation. Can somebody throw one in an envelope and mail it to me then I'll send it back in a few days when I'm done?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Drill a block of wood/plastic with a bit slightly smaller than the hose. Cut it in half. You now have a shimano hose block.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I thought about that but opening the mail would be way easier so I gave this a shot. Still hoping for somebody to come through.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    PM me your address I'll send ya one!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Shoot I'm really Sorry I tossed my out with the box inadvertently the other day..... I may need to borrow one now..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Awesome. Thanks! PM sent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    May I make a recommendation? Buy one. You are going to need to have one for doing bleeds as well, and it's a pretty important thing to have in your brake kit. In the time it takes someone to send you one, you can have your own sent, and then you don't have to send it back.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    why would i need that for bleeds? i know the pad spacer is important for bleeds but why would the hose clamping block be necessary?

mtbr member
    The question is - beside what jochribs already suggested - do you really need one? I've never used any cutting block/guide to shorten my lines and making a straight cut (with some care) has never presented an issue. Same with inserting an olive - I just put the end in a vice between two blocks of wood and clamp it only as tight as needed for the end not to move as I insert the barb. A few taps on it with anything hard and it's done. Heck, I've even managed to do it without a vice a few times - not comfortable or convenient, but not impossible.
    Granted, I never dealt with a Shimano hose, but I can't imagine it being any different than any other, standard (as in - non-steel braided or reinforced in any way) hoses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    why would i need that for bleeds? i know the pad spacer is important for bleeds but why would the hose clamping block be necessary?
    It is the spacer. You get two. One for each brake. Each one has the hose groove in it that couples to make a "clamp", so to speak.

Arek makes a point that you don't need these things, but my feeling is do the job with the right tools. If you're gonna fiddle with your brakes, have the proper accoutrements.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    aha! well, I only got one when i ordered my brakes so i need a second one. i bought my brakes from blue sky and they came in plastic bags with no "official" shimano packaging.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Loan me a Shimano hose shortening block?-wp_000214.jpg

Together they work as a clamp, separately they work as a spacer for your calipers, where they are they same thickness as your pads and rotors sandwiched together. This keeps your bleeding consistent as well as lever throw.

I've actually sanded some extras down in order to compensate for pad and rotor wear. Not terribly necessary though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    aha! well, I only got one when i ordered my brakes so i need a second one. i bought my brakes from blue sky and they came in plastic bags with no "official" shimano packaging.
    Call them and tell them to send you a set of blocks. You should get two per brake, if getting the brakes separately. If you bought a pair, (F&R) then you only get one set, if I recall.

Probably BlueSky separating pairs and thus, separating the blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    called 'em today. they don't have any extras. said they don't normally ship with the blocks because bluesky doesn't normally receive them with the blocks. not sure how they work the oem/take off gig but whatever, the price is great. they gladly offered me a full refund if i wasn't happy and wanted to send the brakes back but that's not the case. i am happy, just hoping to score these blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    need? no.
    want just to make it as easy as possible? yes.