mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Hope A little help on BB7 brake rub.

I know this has been covered before, but..its a little different.
    Just finished my brothers Redline Monocog 29er with a stock fork and bb7 brakes mounted to a 180mm Magura Storm rotor. I am using a 20mm disc mount and correct mounting hardware, however when I am standing and pump the bike to the left I have noticeable brake rub/drag. I realize 29" wheels and the longer fork flex causing this, however I have gone though all the adjustment procedures and still am getting the rub not matter what I do. My brother is very picky and won't dig it. Any clues? I might just take the bike to my local bike shop tomorrow and get a second diagnosis.
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

A little help on BB7 brake rub.

It sounds like standard brake rub cause if flex. You could set up the brakes looser, that's about it.

I get the occasional flex rub with my bb7's honestly it's no big thing

Bill

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    I know this has been covered before, but..its a little different.
    Just finished my brothers Redline Monocog 29er with a stock fork and bb7 brakes mounted to a 180mm Magura Storm rotor. I am using a 20mm disc mount and correct mounting hardware, however when I am standing and pump the bike to the left I have noticeable brake rub/drag. I realize 29" wheels and the longer fork flex causing this, however I have gone though all the adjustment procedures and still am getting the rub not matter what I do. My brother is very picky and won't dig it. Any clues? I might just take the bike to my local bike shop tomorrow and get a second diagnosis.
    Not likely flex.

Make sure the caliper bracket mounting bolts are not touching the rotor. Add washers under the bolt heads if they are.

True the rotor.

Realign the caliper.

Set the inner pad as close as possible without rubbing. Set the outer pad for the lever feel you want.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Pull the wheel side to side and check for play in the hub. Check for full tightness of the QR skewer. If those aspects are sound, then move to centering/clearance adjustments.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks guys! I will try all the mentioned procedures and see if I can get it sorted out tomorrow.
    "If 650b is the future and 26"ers are the past then sitting on my B6'er I am in the middle of the here and now"

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Pull the wheel side to side and check for play in the hub. Check for full tightness of the QR skewer. If those aspects are sound, then move to centering/clearance adjustments.
    would be my first guess without see it in person... 80% of brake rub that's only there when riding (no rub in a stand) is usually hub bearings loose/worn...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

When you put the wheel in to check play reverse it so the disk isn't in the brake slot. That way you can really see if the hub is loose .

Bill

human dehumidifier
    I've got the same problem here. No hub play in my case; skewer is tight. Wheel spins forever free on the stand, but it rubs while riding. Brakes and fork were on a different frame, it would do the same thing. Has brand new pads, but it did the same thing with the old ones too. I messed with it for a while and decided it's not worth losing sleep over. Drives me nuts when I hear it though.
    I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A little help on BB7 brake rub.-copy-dscf2004.jpgThere is no play in the hub, the wheels are essentially brand new,but came on a stock Trek Sawyer, with shimano hubs. Not great wheels but got them cheap. **NOTE that skewer was just for temporary purposes. Another skewer is in place now. Also I am not a big fan of the 2007 BB7 versions as compared to my other 2012 versions. I find the adjustment knobs to be inferior and its harder to see the rotor alignment.