mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Linear Pull Pad alignment

I'm new to the biking area and just pulled my MTB out of the garage for some exercise. I have a Diamondback Outlook from 2005 that uses a linear pull brake system. I noticed the front brake pulls hard from one side across the other when I squeeze the lever. Also, the pad on the weak side sits on the rim. The back pulls evenly from each side. Is this normal?

Derek

mtbr member
    First make sure the wheel is on straight. Once you know the wheel is on correctly, there should be a screw on the side of each brake arm. This screw adjusts the spring tension on that side. You can either loosen the side that's pulling too hard, or tighten the side that not pulling hard enough.

If the spring tension adjustment via the screw doesn't do much you might want to take the caliper off and clean, lube and reinstall (or do the manual spring adjustment if the tension screw has little effect). Might also make sure your cable/housing is in good order while you're at it. Just which brakes do you have?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    According to this website, I have "ProMax linear-pull front/Promax linear rear brakes, Promax levers" although I don't see any label stating a brand.
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...0686&Type=bike

The bike stops just fine (I think, only 1 ride so far), there was a little squealing but I cleaned off the pads and will try it again. I loosened the "weaker" side and tried to tighten the "stronger" side but it still pulls more from the one side. "Weak" side will sit on the rim once pulled, it doesn't go back to it's pre-pulled position. They should close evenly on the rim when pulled, right?

I'll probably drive back over to the shop who did my tune-up to have them check the brakes. I just wanted to do a little of my own research first.

Thanks for the replies.

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    You can also give the tension spring more tension by bending spring behind the arm and bending it towards the ground. Just a slight bend with offer increased spring tension.
    Last edited by Kona0197; 03-27-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Meh.
    No, you need to tighten the weaker spring and loosen the stronger side.