mtbr member

Lightweight rotors for XTR Trail brakes

Which rotors do you consider the best for XTR Trail brakes?
    Lightweight. Good performance.
    Trail riding.
    I am light, looking for a pair of 160mm rotors.
    Last edited by jazzanova; 12-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've been trying to figure this out too. I was going to run the Ice Tech rotors but they look heavier than what I want to put on my race wheels. I can't find any published rates for the 6 bolt rotors. I have some Avid HS1 rotors with the Avid brakes and was just going to try those rotors. I'm switching to XTR brakes and trying to figure out what rotor I can use that is lightweight and works well.

mtbr member
    Magura Storm SLs pair up nicely with Shimanos. Fairly lightweight as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastZR1 View Post
    I've been trying to figure this out too. I was going to run the Ice Tech rotors but they look heavier than what I want to put on my race wheels. I can't find any published rates for the 6 bolt rotors. I have some Avid HS1 rotors with the Avid brakes and was just going to try those rotors. I'm switching to XTR brakes and trying to figure out what rotor I can use that is lightweight and works well.

I'd go with the IceTechs, keep in mind the spider is aluminum so they are not as heavy as they look even with the beefy spider. 115g for the 160mm, 134g for the 180mm, I run 180's on my trail bike with XTR Trails and they have all sorts of power, are quiet and look good...What more do you need?

mtbr member
    If you are serious about weight savings you may wanna jump on the early ship of carbon ceramic rotors (SiCCC I believe was the name)

There was an entire thread on it (complete with fund raising) but I can not find it now to save my life.

Claimed weight is 40g for a 160mm rotor - costing $100?

mtbr member
    My 180mm Ice tech RT98's came in at 123 grams each.
    Last edited by skyak; 12-13-2012 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Ice Tech work insane when beded in. Very quiet as well and worth the few extra grams. When you are in a long decend and your brakes stay cool and quiet you will know where the extra few grams went.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    If you are serious about weight savings you may wanna jump on the early ship of carbon ceramic rotors (SiCCC I believe was the name)
    40 gr is for the 140 mm rotor, 55 gr for 160 mm
    SiCCC Bicycle Brake Rotor: Silicon Carbide-Ceramic-Carbon by Kettle Cycles — Kickstarter
    I'm in the second batch for 2 160 mm, expected to arrive on Feb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post

There was an entire thread on it (complete with fund raising) but I can not find it now to save my life.

Yes, I noticed them, but the fund raising was already closed when I tried to get them...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am running hs1 rotors with my xtr trails and have no issues at all. In fact I have been able to reduce mt rear rotor from 160 to 140mm and they are still soooooo much better than the XO calipers I was running on the 160 rotor.

mtbr member
    Check out Alligator Windcutters. You can get them for $60 a pair and they're always talked about on the Weight Weenies forum. Probably your best bang-for-the-buck as far as lightweight rotors go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    40 gr is for the 140 mm rotor, 55 gr for 160 mm
    SiCCC Bicycle Brake Rotor: Silicon Carbide-Ceramic-Carbon by Kettle Cycles — Kickstarter
    I'm in the second batch for 2 160 mm, expected to arrive on Feb.
    Ya, thats the kickstarter page - I can not find the entire multi-page thread about it that was on MTBR.

For whatever reason when I searched the brake forum if carbon rotors I did NOT find this thread:

Carbon Brake rotors

Helmetless Crasher
    Kcnc, ashima or alligator rotors if you want to save weight at the expense of performance.

Icetech for performance at a decent weight. The spider and core of the rotor disc are aluminum - so they are fairly lightweight for what they are/do.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I have a pair of IceTech ready, but they are kinda heavy... 6bolts are only XT, no XTR...
    I might pick up a pair of Ashima and try them, if they don't perform properly, I'll try the Icetechs.

Helmetless Crasher
    The "problem" with the ultra light rotors is that they tend to eat pads, pulsate a bit, and lack a bit of power and fade resistance compared to those 30-50g heavier.

I could see bolting a set to an XC raceday wheelset w/ raceday tires for an über lightweight raceday setup.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Which rotors do you consider the best for XTR Trail brakes?
    Lightweight. Good performance.
    Trail riding.
    I am light, looking for a pair of 160mm rotors.
    I'm running Ashima AiRotors on my singlespeed. 86g, IIRC, with good stopping power, and they are not easy to overheat. I'm 208 pounds, so I know what it takes to overheat a rotor.

The only downside seems to be that they are wearing out more quickly than the Hope rotors they replaced. No big, they're actually pretty cheap, too. IIRC, I paid like $25 each landed. Pad life is about the same as my other rotors, and they don't seem to be prone to warping. I don't have problems with pulsing or turkey warble noises.

They're sold under several different brand names, but it basically looks like this:

mtbr member
    I'd say Ashima AiRotor's as well. I put a 180 on my Anthem to replace the 170 that came up front - the stock rotor size didn't quite assert the authority I was looking for when stopping (I weigh about 215 lbs geared up) but the 180 Ashima is perfect. I'm not noticing any wear issues or heat problems.