mtbr member
    Aug 2009

lightweight "gator" rotors? durability ????

so they got several styles around 80gms ea., and they look really nice. can have a set shipped from china for $45 f/r. Im just curious though if the lightweight cheapies would warp really quick? does weight (more metal to spread and dissapate the heat?) have a direct corelation (spelling?) to durability? I dont want to buy them if there goin to warp really quick.

mtbr member
    very durable. lighter, cheaper and quieter than avids. love them.

metrotuned WoS
    Get the rotors from Taiwan. My genuine SRAM XX cleansweep rotors are made in Taiwan. As are 99.9% of bike components. Alligator makes ok rotors, but you're not saving much. You can find US sellers easily at $45 pair.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Hates rain
    I got the serrations for $14 a piece at pricepoint.

Rub it............
    I have the Alligator brand on 2 bikes. One is equipped with Juicy 7's the other has BB7's. Much better than the Avid rotors - haven't tried the Clean Sweep 3's. I have a total of 3 years combined between the 2 bikes. No problems. I do get a little bit of chatter from the rear on the 29er hardtail, but its only occasional.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    awesome thanks guys.