Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I ride with tools

lightest hydros?

Somebody probably knows this off the top of their head, thus saving me from a lot of busy work. What are some of the lighter hydraulic disc brakes out there? The application is for a lightweight SS 29er that I wouldn't be riding on wicked downhill stuff, so they don't have to be the strongest brakes. I love my Juicy 7s on my AM rig, how do they rank in terms of weight?

Thanks in advance.

JB

King of vegetarians
    Hope mono mini pro.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

MTBR Demi-God
    Magura Marta SLs are very light too, but are heavy on the pocket
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

-> SickLines.com <-
    Don't forget the Formula's Puro. That'd be my pick as they work great and are as light/lighter than every brake listed thus far I believe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a used set of Marta's160/160 with Goodridge lines if anyone is interested. Send me a PM or email for description.

A wheelist
    The lightest ones that ever hit the market were Formula B4SL Magnesium at 630g for the full set (my weight; my scale). The rear rotor was 140mm. They have been off the market for a couple or three years and NO I won't sell you mine
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    The lightest ones that ever hit the market were Formula B4SL Magnesium at 630g for the full set (my weight; my scale). The rear rotor was 140mm. They have been off the market for a couple or three years and NO I won't sell you mine
    Chain reaction has some NOS B4 pro plus for sale http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=5691
    Still,none of the brakes listed are as light as the Hope mono mini pro that comes in at 295g.As Hope says,thats including all the parts needed for use.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you use the mini rotor (pro version) with the Marta SLs, you'll be at the same weight. Claimed on the Martas is 327 or so, say 330 to keep it simple. Marta rotor is 108g. The Mini PRO rotor is 78g, 30g ligther. Put the mini pro rotor with the martas, you've got 300g martas. Throw in Ti hardware like the mini pros have, even lighter still. You'd be really stepping up the price...but what can you do...

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    Chain reaction has some NOS B4 pro plus
    They superceded the B4SL Magnesiums and weight was added.

none of the brakes listed are as light as the Hope mono mini pro that comes in at 295g.
    If that's their true weight then I stand corrected about B4SL Mags being the lightest at 630g. I'd sure like to weigh a set of those Hopes though.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    In "What Mountain Bike" this month they tested brakes, hope mono mini pro was 304g with 160mm rotor, atleast 50g lighter than any other brake on the list including marta sl and formula brakes.

King of vegetarians
    Interesting tidbit from the Magura rep at the NAHBS,the new Marta magnesium will come in at 300g including all parts.And yes,that does include the Magura rotor.
    Just pairing the hope pro rotor with the new Marta should make it the lightest by at least an ounce per brake.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is funny

Quote Originally Posted by puckhead
    I have a used set of Marta's160/160 with Goodridge lines if anyone is interested. Send me a PM or email for description.
    How many guys put all kinds of dough in Magura Marta brakes and then want to sell them. I sold mine like a house a fire; piece of crap brakes! Things that make you go hmmm.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    what do the juicy ultimates weigh?

go chase the sunset
    Interesting tidbit from the Magura rep at the NAHBS,the new Marta magnesium will come in at 300g including all parts.And yes,that does include the Magura rotor.
    Just pairing the hope pro rotor with the new Marta should make it the lightest by at least an ounce per brake.
    The marta magnesium? I've not seen anything about this on any cycling news outlet or forums - do you have any more details? How do they differ to the SL?

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    The marta magnesium? I've not seen anything about this on any cycling news outlet or forums - do you have any more details? How do they differ to the SL?
    The rep was only expounding on the weight benefit,I doubt that there is any change in performance relative to tho SL.He did show me the 08 Magura product line catalog which features the magnesium version.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

go chase the sunset
    So what are they doing different in the magnesium version to the SL version? It'd be fair to guess that the calliper body will be cast in magnesium, but are there any changes to the lever body housing?

Also, here's the '08 catalogue: http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/fi...e2008_E_wP.pdf

There's no mention of it in the current version. They claim 324g for the SL, so obv. they're saving 24 grams by at least reworking the calliper?

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    So what are they doing different in the magnesium version to the SL version? It'd be fair to guess that the calliper body will be cast in magnesium, but are there any changes to the lever body housing?

Also, here's the '08 catalogue: http://www.magura.com/7thsenseCMS/fi...e2008_E_wP.pdf

There's no mention of it in the current version. They claim 324g for the SL, so obv. they're saving 24 grams by at least reworking the calliper?
    Sorry Ardent,he did not say and I did not ask.Come Monday you can give them a call and ask though,just be sure to share your findings with the rest of us
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

mtbr member
    I think the Marta Sl's are lighter than the formulas?

I have been running Marta SL's on one of my bikes since September and they have been running sweet with no need for any adjustments since, with frequent riding. Super happy with the brakes, modulation is awesome.

Bike Guy
    Juicy Ultimates are super light and can run a 140mm rear rotor. The bonus is that they work too!
    Official notice - I own a bike shop in Utah
    http://www.infinitecycles.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sorry Ardent,he did not say and I did not ask.Come Monday you can give them a call and ask though,just be sure to share your findings with the rest of us
    Well...the suspense is killing me!! Magura USA knows nothing (or claims it) about any update to the Marta.

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime
    Well...the suspense is killing me!! Magura USA knows nothing (or claims it) about any update to the Marta.
    I will call Magura Germany tomorrow and see if I can get an ETA on it.
    www.blacksheepbikes.com

go chase the sunset
    I've emailed Magura USA - they've not replied yet.

Come on, dare me!
    Just a word of caution : with most other disc brake systems, the bolts of the Hope floating rotors tend to rub on the caliper (if I remember well). Anyway, a compatibility check is mandatory...

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    what do the juicy ultimates weigh?
    I weighted mines@375 g with all hardware and 160 mm disc each.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by icbrad
    Juicy Ultimates are super light and can run a 140mm rear rotor. The bonus is that they work too!
    Too bad you're right... I really loved my Martas but these brakes (apart from the frequent bleedings they need) tend to age badly. During the first 2-3 years, they perform flawlessly (except, as said, the mandatory bleedings once in a while). Then, I started to have problems... More and more bleeds and inconsistant lever reach. Finally, one of the master cylinders died and had to be replaced, since Magura doesn't sell individual parts to repair them. Then, after a few hundred $$$, I go riding and guess what ? The front caliper gets stuck. We've tried everything to get it to work again, to no avail. So, now, I have to change the other master cylinder...

In the meantime, I've put a set of Avid Juicy Ultimate on my FS and the Martas were installed on my hardtail/mullet bike... Even though the Juicy are not as powerful as the Martas, they seem to be reliable, at least... :|

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast