mtbr member

Lightest disc brakes - what are they ? ? ?

I was wondering what are some of the lightest disc brakes out there? Are the Formula Oro K24's a worthwhile light weight option? Also, how do the Shimano XT disc brakes compare weight wise? I am looking for something that's durable and light weight....

Any info you can provide is highly appreciated

Thanks,

Nick

mtbr member
    www.google.com

Seriously dude, nobody is going to remember the weights of those two off the top of their head. If all you're looking for is weights, you're every bit as capable as anyone else of finding that information. There's a ton more info on both of those brakes on here too, there's a reason there's a search function.

mtbr member

formula R1

or some variation of it is the lightest I know of.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You can get a set of 680g Magura Marta hydros on closeout at eBay. Powerful, noise-free stopping with lots of one-finger modulation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGURA-MARTA-HYD...lenotsupported
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Seeeriously easy Livin
    The formula r1 are the lightest, the magura marta magnesium are a close second. after that I think is the hope mono minis

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by single speed kid
    I was wondering what are some of the lightest disc brakes out there? Are the Formula Oro K24's a worthwhile light weight option? Also, how do the Shimano XT disc brakes compare weight wise? I am looking for something that's durable and light weight....

Any info you can provide is highly appreciated

Thanks,

Nick

Sicklines has confirmed weights of many disc brakes here:

http://www.sicklines.com/weights/discbrakes/

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I take it those weights on sicklines are all without rotors, rotor hardware, and (going off the pic of one brake) IS adapters or their hardware (and for that matter all the hoses are DH bike lengths). The Hygia USAGI brakes, which you can get off ebay for $234USD shipped to North America (takes about 1 1/2 weeks from taiwan), are 546g for 710mm / 1280mm hose length lever/caliper set with IS adapters, their rotors are 103g each, and the rotor and IS mount bolts add 23g per brake. That's less than an ounce over the Formula K24s, but for far cheaper.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I take it those weights on sicklines are all without rotors, rotor hardware, and (going off the pic of one brake) IS adapters or their hardware (and for that matter all the hoses are DH bike lengths). The Hygia USAGI brakes, which you can get off ebay for $234USD shipped to North America (takes about 1 1/2 weeks from taiwan), are 546g for 710mm / 1280mm hose length lever/caliper set with IS adapters, their rotors are 103g each, and the rotor and IS mount bolts add 23g per brake. That's less than an ounce over the Formula K24s, but for far cheaper.
    Yes, which how it should be.

How do those Usagi's work? Any hope of warranty service?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I haven't got the USAGI's yet but the Elites work great, feel better than the Formula ORO K24s I've used. As to warranty service, haven't needed any on mine.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I take it those weights on sicklines are all without rotors, rotor hardware, and (going off the pic of one brake) IS adapters or their hardware (and for that matter all the hoses are DH bike lengths).
    Nope. The weights are what is shown in the pictures of that particular sample. Some include everything, some don't. Some are cut. Some are uncut. Click on the little camera icon on the right side and it takes you to the brake on the scale with or without rotors/bolts/hardware etc... .

I used it as a reference for choosing between staying with my Avid mechanical disc or switching to what everyone told me I "needed" to have for an attempted lighter build - the Avid Juicy Ultimates. I wanted to know "complete" brake per side and Sicklines at least showed me one example of a complete front and a complete rear Ultimate weight.

Anyway, it is what it is. Not all brands and brakes are there, but quite a few to get a good idea.

BB