mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Light rotors - Best pads to use ?

Hi everyone, I just bought a used giant anthem x advanced and the guy I bought it from replaced the stock XT rotors with Ashima AI2 rotors. I've had some noise issues (tried cleaning with alcool and sandpaper, didn't really solved anything) and I'm pretty much set on replacing the pads.

From your experience with lighter/thinner rotors, should I use Sintered pads or Resin ? The pads that are on the bike right now are stock shimano resin pads and I thought it would help with the noise (don't seem to be the case but again maybe the pads are contaminated)

From what I've read the big cut-away on the braking surface of light rotors eats up resin pads more and sintered might work better, it's there any truth to this ?

I've also noticed that on the pads that I have only a thin middle wear line is visible, that just don't seem normal right?

Should I just change the rotors and buy stock xt-icetech rotors instead, would that help with the noise ?

Sorry for all the question, first time with disc brake.

Thanks you all for your help!

Cheers!

cowbell
    The rotors shouldn't be a problem. I use them with semi-metallic pads, and believe it or not, 90% of the time, they don't make a sound with my X0 brakes.