Thread: Lever travel?

Just a flesh wound

Lever travel?

I have Shimano LX Dual Control levers and LX Hydraulic brakes. Original equipment on my ' 05 Prophet 800. I have replaced pads over time, reset the calipers and "worked" the pistons to keep everything working well.

I have never bled the brakes, and now one lever has started to bother me in that it travels more than the other and makes one finger braking more difficult because the lever hits my index finger before I get full throw. It still has good power at full throw when I use two fingers and the pads are fairly new, so my question is..

Am I overdue for a bleed, and would this reduce the travel of my rear brake lever (1/2" more than front) and return it to its former state?

Thanks for the input. These brakes have been great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Reset the pistons, do a bleed or replace the hose as a last resort.

mtbr member
    Have you tried turning the adjustment screw first? I don't think you need to bleed the brakes.

mbtr member
    you can totally lose a little fluid out the blowoff port thingie when the brakes are hot you're really on the brakes, once you have a little water in there to expand. Then when everything cools the reservoir will let a bubble in. Time to do a bleed, fortunately bleeding shimano is a walk in the cake.

You can check it by flipping the bike upside down, leave it there for a few minutes, and then squeeze the levers. If they feel terrible for the first few squeezes afterwards... yep, definitely time.

Just a flesh wound

Thanks for the replies

I did adjust the screw for lever placement and it did move far enough away to work, but it is still moving more than the other. The pads still have lots of meat on them, so I think it's time for my first bleed.

Park Tool has a good page on bleeding Shimano. Piece of cake, walk in the park.

mtbr member

walk/park

Walk in the park,piece of cake or cake walk.

Just a flesh wound

Don't forget

Easy as pie! Can do it blindfolded!

squish is good
    You could also move your brake and shifter a little more inboard to get it away from your index finger and even gain a little leverage for 1 finger braking. I run my brakes and shifters waaay in on the bars for this reason.

Or just bleed it
    Bike good, work bad.