mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Lever tension - CANNONDALE HELIX 6 HYDRAULIC DISC

I bought a Cannondale SL4 29er about 4 months ago and it has become a complete money pit. I am a novice when it comes to hydraulic disc brakes and was very excited to finally purchase a bike that had them.

So here is my problem. I noticed after a 30 mile bike ride on a paved road that the tension on my front brake lever was pretty low. I took it to the bike shop in town, they bleed it, and everything seemed fine. About a week later when I was on a pretty rocky trail about half way through I could tell my tension was diminishing again. I took it back to the bike shop and they apparently topped off the reservoir and everything seemed fine again. Now we are at 2 weeks later and I basically have no use of my front brake.

I checked the reservoir last night and it looks full but there is some sediment or something that has settled in it (looks like dirt to me). I don't see any leaks coming out of the brake line and I can't, for the life of me, figure out what is going on. I am a newbie at this but I am trying to not have to buy a whole new disc brake set or keep taking my bike back to the shop.

I ride about 250-350 miles a month. Some on pavement some on trails and have been really good about continual maintenance. Any ideas or information would be helpful. I can't keep spending $30 every other week to have my brake lines bleed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was able to fix this problem by doing some youtube searching and 'burping' the brakes. Was able to ride a 20 mile ride on the trails without much of a problem. I did feel less pressure on my brake by the end of the ride but not as bad as when I originally started. I believe there is an air leak in the cable and will be replacing it soon but for the short term, this worked for me.
    How to burp disc brakes - YouTube

mtbr member
    Interesting....I have the same bike and have put several hundred miles on it, mostly trail, and have not seen this issue. I do notice that overall they are not the greatest set of brakes, but for the total price of the bike they seem to be appropriate.
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29