mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The lever squeeze caliper aligning method

I tried the lever squeeze caliper aligning method many times in the past with my Shimano M665 brakes and became frustrated with it. I read on the forums about aligning the caliper by sight and I thought it was fantastic and have used it since with my M666s.

However, I recently got new rotors and one of them was bent. I did a quick straightening, just enough to use it, but no matter what I did I just couldn't align the caliper without the rotor rubbing.

So I decided to do the lever squeeze method with the rotor's bent part in the caliper and it aligned exactly right. About a week later I had to align the caliper again (I forget why) so I did the lever squeeze method and it was perfect, again.

Maybe the lever squeeze method works well with some brakes...?

human dehumidifier
    I guess it'd require a caliper that's not sticky on one side or the other so the pistons come out and retract equally

The next time I place a parts order I'm going to get one of these, loosen the bolts, shove the gauges in, squeeze the brakes, tighten the bolts. I tried making one with feeler gauges but never could get it to work without a lot of hassle.

But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    May 2012
    wv_bob, just curious. What exactly is that called? Is there somewhere specific to order it from?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: The lever squeeze caliper aligning method

IIf you've got a drag, rotate the rotor to the point of dragging. Loosen the bolts, cut a small piece of paper and slide it between the rotor and the pad (on the dragging side). Then, grip the lever and tighten. This effectively nudges the caliper over just enough to avoid the dragging, but still keeps the caliper parallel to the rotor.

I tighten slowly, each bolt a little but at a time, till I'm up to torque limit. This may or may not help.

After, if it's still dragging, redo with two pieces of paper, or, a piece of business card. Experiment with different thicknesses of paper. This is basically what the above gauge does.

If the rotor drags on both sides, nothing you can do really.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dharel1705 View Post
    wv_bob, just curious. What exactly is that called? Is there somewhere specific to order it from?
    I think it's just called a brake pad and rotor alignment tool.

Pick your favorite local retailer, or try Universal cycles, tree fort, or Jenson among others.

human dehumidifier
    BTW I bought one of those Hayes alignment tools and it works great. So long as the pistons extend equally it will center the caliper perfectly over the rotor, and if they don't, it gives an equal gap between the pads and rotor.