mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Lever Reach Issues on '06 Juicy 5

I thought my last set of pads were worn out, because I could not fully lock my brakes without the levers running into my middle finger. I had never adjusted the lever reach, so I figured it was the set of pads. I asked my shop to throw on a new set of pads, then bleed the brakes. It seemed great for the first 20 minutes of riding, I could lockout the breaks with a few mm's of clearance. But then the lever started making contact with my middle finger again. I took it back to the shop to explain the situation, and they "reset" the caliper by taking out the pads and depressing the lever until the pistons contacted one another, then they pushed the pistons back. In addition the mechanic adjusted the lever reach. It seemed great again on the store floor, but the lever was contacting my middle finger again within 20 minutes of trail riding.

Is this a crap bleed or is there something wrong with my brakes?

Meh.
    Sounds like a crap bleed to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Had them bled again today (actually they guy didn't do it in the first place). I still get the same issue. Reach is fine for the first 20 minutes of riding, then it gradually inches back until full power cannot be attained with single finger braking because the lever runs into the knuckle of my middle finger.

What I have tried:
    Adjusting lever reach (it is at maximum possible extension).
    Replacing pads
    Bleeding brake

My mechanic is calling Avid on Monday, as he is out of ideas

Little help?

Meh.
    Sounds like there's a leak somewhere then. Avid should take care of it. Why Monday and not tomorrow?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Apparently Avid is closed according to him.

-> SickLines.com <-
    You need a new mechanic. Sram should be open today, and friday.

Meh.
    New mechanic for sure. He scammed you on a bleed and then tried to tell you SRAM is closed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Adjust the lever reach then put a little drop of loctite. You should be set.
    [SIZE="1"]It's a chronic addiction[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I just realized yesterday that somebody already hit it with loctite such that I can no longer adjust the lever reach.

Meh.
    You'll have to pull the entire lever and pushrod assembly off to get rid of the Loctite. I got Loctite everywhere once. I boiled it to heat it up and get it off. Strange... but it works.