mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Lever and caliper kit?

I currently have Hayes sole brakes on my bike right now, and after reading some of the reviews it makes me scarred to go ride with them. Does anyone sell just a caliper and lever set? Iím on a budget so I would like to keep the rotors I have (180mm front and 160mm rear). Any recommendations on a decent set of budget calipers and levers? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Have you ridden them yet? If not, go ride them. Is the bike new? If so, maybe the shop you bought it at will let you trade them. I would ride them first and see, most of the comments about brakes come from people who have had alot of experience, so if you have not ridden alot of disc brakes you may never know how bad they are until you buy some better ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    yea its a new bike i have been riding it for a little over a month. I don't notice anything bad about the brakes but when i went and read the reviews it worried me. I think i jumped the gun a little and I am going to take your advice and just ride the bike until parts do break then i will replace them. Thanks for the good advice.

mtbr member
    The brakes are fine. I wouldn't buy them, but do have a bike that came with them. They need to be adjusted quite often, and the reach adjuster screw always comes loose, but they work quite well. They are certainly no worse than many v-brakes I have tried.

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2004

Take the reviews with grain of salt

Read the reviews -- but also make up your own mind. If you have them ride them -- If you like them and are not having constant issues then keep riding them. If they suit the intended purpose of your riding then keep riding them. You go to realized that people often give reviews of things they had a bad experience with than the other way around. Also, there are some people here that like the high end stuff and like to dog the low end. Low end does not mean it does not work, maybe it does not work as well.

ride hard take risks
    As said just ride the bike, when your abilities start to get to the ability of the brakes upgrade. You bought a bike at a price point within your budget & that is what you get budget bike. Dont worry & go Ride!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    May 2007

Believe...

a small amount of what you read on web forums.

Go to the Hayes web site and read the manual. The Sole's require you to adjust for pad wear (like BB7's) The manual will show you how.

Go ride and have fun.

Cheers