b a n n e d

Leaky DOT 5.1 Fluid Bottle

I just noticed that my bottle of DOT 5.1 fluid had been tipped on its side and clearly a slow leak developed as the label of the bottle is basically blank now. I know that DOT 5.1 absorbs water really easily so is whats left in the bottle toast now?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Technically, any unsealed bottle will absorb water, but unless it's pretty old you would be fine using it.

On the other hand, I am slightly OCD when it comes to these kind of things so I would just buy another bottle,
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would still use it, what is in the bottle has not been exposed to water has it?

mtbr member
    There is enough moisture in the air to contaminate the fluid, but unless the lid was off completely, the fluid should still be OK. That being said, I do a little trick that seems to keep the moisture at bay. I use latex gloves (any stretchy gloves will work for this) when I bleed my brakes. I cut one of the fingers off the glove when I'm done, put it over the top of the bottle and then screw the cap on. Seals it up tight.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    Technically, any unsealed bottle will absorb water, but unless it's pretty old you would be fine using it.

On the other hand, I am slightly OCD when it comes to these kind of things so I would just buy another bottle,
    This is why I don't generally buy large bottles of the stuff . . . this bottle isn't that old, maybe 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I would still use it, what is in the bottle has not been exposed to water has it?
    Nope . . . I live in SoCal where even the air is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    There is enough moisture in the air to contaminate the fluid, but unless the lid was off completely, the fluid should still be OK. That being said, I do a little trick that seems to keep the moisture at bay. I use latex gloves (any stretchy gloves will work for this) when I bleed my brakes. I cut one of the fingers off the glove when I'm done, put it over the top of the bottle and then screw the cap on. Seals it up tight.
    Brilliant idea with the glove. I also use gloves and this will be a simple addition.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    I cut one of the fingers off the glove when I'm done, put it over the top of the bottle and then screw the cap on. Seals it up tight.
    Fantastic tip that one. Thanks!