mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Leaking XT M785 Brake?

I've had my XT brakes for a little over a year now and they have been awesome... But then I took my bike out for a ride a month ago. My front brake had pretty much zero stopping power and the caliper was just howling, so I knew my pads were contaminated. The braking power eventually returned to normal over the course of the ride though, so I figured that whatever was on the pads/rotors had disappeared. The problem is back again now. I can't see any oil residue on the calipers and I don't seem to have any air in the system indicating a leak, even when I pull the lever repeatedly with the bike upside down. So I'm wondering if I have a leaky brake or did something external contaminate it? I did lube the pistons maybe a week before that ride with the same brake fluid used in the system. I cleaned up the caliper thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, but could this cause it in anyway? My rear brake is perfect.

Thanks!

MTB B'dos
    Pull the pads, pour some boiling water over them, let them dry then give them a good sanding to remove the top coat and you should be GTG. My front started keeping noise about a month back and that's what I did and it solved the problem, guessing that the pads somehow got contaminated and just needed a good cleaning.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I decided to clean up the brake thoroughly with iso. alcohol and I coated the caliper with baby powder and squeezed the lever with a clamp. I'm going to leave it like that for a day and if any oil leaks out then I should see it in the powder. If it's the caliper then I'll try to do a warranty fix, if not then I'll try your idea Lynx. The finned pads are quite expensive!

mtbr member
    IIRC there was a batch of these brakes about a year ago that had bad crimps where the hose entered the banjo fitting - and the oil can make its way down to the pads. Worth checking there too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I know about the crimp on the hose, so I made sure to check that too : )

I found that my caliper and hose were not leaking at all so I just replaced the pads. I found some none finned ones locally and bought a few of those. My front brake is powerful again!