mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Leaking Magura master cylinder

I have a set of older Louise brakes I just picked up. They're for a project, and they're the only calipers which will fit on the rear of the bike. When I received them, both master cylinder pistons were slick from oil, which means their seals are leaking. Unfortantely, I only now found out Magura doesn't offer rebuild kits for their master cylinders, and the seals they used don't look like standard ones. What's annoying is Magura keeps saying not even their techs can successfully rebuild their master cylinders, when it's really not all that hard. It's also incredibly frustrating having to throw away a good part simply because you can't get new seals for it.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out my options:

- Does anyone know if someone, somewhere offers a seal kit for Magura brakes?

- I know this is a long shot, but has anyone ever run a Shimano master cylinder on Magura brakes?

- Worst comes to worst, where can I buy a Magura master cylinder for cheap?

"El Whatever"
    1.- Not that I know of. Magura has never sold seals for neither master or slave cylinders. They kind of back up that with their 5yr Leakproof Warranty. Agree or disagree, that's their take. I'm of the same idea that you should not dump a master cylinder because of a seal.

2.- I'm not sure on that particular model, but I remember somebody using XTR calipers with Marta levers on this board (probably in the archives?). So, I think it's possible.

3.- Check ebay. There's seller "braking1"
    Magura Louise FR Freeride M/C Master Brake Lever Black/Silver Blade Right 721987 | eBay
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    1.- Not that I know of. Magura has never sold seals for neither master or slave cylinders. They kind of back up that with their 5yr Leakproof Warranty. Agree or disagree, that's their take. I'm of the same idea that you should not dump a master cylinder because of a seal.

2.- I'm not sure on that particular model, but I remember somebody using XTR calipers with Marta levers on this board (probably in the archives?). So, I think it's possible.

3.- Check ebay. There's seller "braking1"
    Magura Louise FR Freeride M/C Master Brake Lever Black/Silver Blade Right 721987 | eBay
    It just seems so wrong and wasteful to throw away a MC just for that.

Thank you very much for the heads up on the Marta/XTR hybrid. That told me what to search for, and I found the thread:
    Shigura MaXTR (Marta XTR Frankenbrake)

The threads seems to confirm what I suspected, that Shimano and Magura piston diameters are close enough that you can mix and match calipers and levers. Guess I'm off to look for some Shimano levers...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    don't they (shimano and Magura) use diff fluids? one is a DOT something and the other Mineral oil? not much up on them but thought I'd throw it out there just to make sure...

what type of seal is it? there are places that will custom make seals, both flat "paper" or gasket style or O-ring's even a few cone style.. Used to be a guy here in town that did it when I was into Drag Racing back in the 70-80's but I'm sure he's long gone.. but look into racing car/motorcycle sites online... really not all that pricy either.. Might be worth a quick Net search and a few phone calls...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    don't they (shimano and Magura) use diff fluids? one is a DOT something and the other Mineral oil? not much up on them but thought I'd throw it out there just to make sure...

what type of seal is it? there are places that will custom make seals, both flat "paper" or gasket style or O-ring's even a few cone style.. Used to be a guy here in town that did it when I was into Drag Racing back in the 70-80's but I'm sure he's long gone.. but look into racing car/motorcycle sites online... really not all that pricy either.. Might be worth a quick Net search and a few phone calls...
    Both are mineral oil.
    Check my Site

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Both are mineral oil.
    cool... some reason I thought Shimmy was DOT... sweet... now is the pressure/volume the same? guessing it's probably close..?

anyway, would still look into getting custom seals done.. might be worth it.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/