Gig 'Em Aggies !

Larger Rotors on RST Gilla Plus T-6

quite a simple question really but i've been searching and cant find a definitive answer. Can this RST Gilla fork handle larger rotors such as 185 or perhaps even 203mm without ruining the fork? the results of my search concerning this issue is really varied and inconclusive. so is it just a recommendation that you should use 160mm or will it actually ruin the fork? thanks, i know ive been flooding the boards lately and yall are probably sick of seeing my name but i just want to be sure of my purchase before i make it.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]06[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Specialized[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Hardrock Sport Disc[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]GIG 'EM AGGIES!![/SIZE] [/SIZE][/SIZE]

banned
    I'll submit that if you need 185 or 203 rotors, your handicap is going to be the fork before the brakes.

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    *bump*
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]06[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Specialized[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Hardrock Sport Disc[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

banned
    Bumps are frowned upon on this forum, and in the rules. That's why you don't see them much and generally you'll end up getting answers you don't want.

You got an answer, why bump because you ddin't like the answer? Chances are you didn't get more responses because people are seeing what you want to do to an RST fork and are not looking to be bothered saying the same thing.

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    to be quite frank the first response didnt really answer my question. it was general and didnt really contain any real substance. now, again, i hate to sound like a prick, but the RST Gillas, the ones on my hardrock, will they withstand bigger rotors or not? does any one have any info regarding this specific fork. i have been reading and searching but nothing on this particular fork, the reason why i bumped it is because im looking for a quick answer because 185mm juicys are up on ebay for cheap and its ending soon. oh and thanks for clarifying the bump rule at least thats cleared up
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    If you want specific answers about the RST Gilla, I doubt you'll get it. Most people who know bikes don't use RST so the chance that anyone being is the same boat as you is pretty close to nill. To give you answer that you want, it's probably okay since there are brakes that can give you more brake force w. 160mm rotors than the J5 can w. 185mm. Of course, I've never had an RST, will never, and will recommend you do the same.

mtbr member
    Lose the RST and at LEAST go with a Manitou Splice Comp. This is a decent and CHEAP 130mm air assist all mountain shock and way more bang for the buck. You can get a set of Splice forks for about $100 to $150 new on ebay. If I were you I'd upgrade the forks before the brakes. BUT, to answer your question a 185mm rotor is pushing the limits but it can be done and a 203mm is out of the question. To answer any further questions you might have concerning brakes I personally wouldn't go bigger than 185mm on any shock with a quick release type front end. Leave the 203mm's for the thru axle type shocks.Here's a link for a better shock. Good Luck!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANSWER-MANITOU-S...em390043330349
    Last edited by slap8up; 04-12-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    "Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty"

Gig 'Em Aggies !
    appreciate the responses guys. i think ill just do the 185s and take the slight risk. no thoughts till now bout replacing fork but ill look in to it. thanks again. mods lock or do what ya gotta do all is answered and well.
    [/SIZE]

Meh.
    Dropouts and tabs can and have cracked because of use with larger rotors. Flexing can also cause bushing wear or lots of stiction... not that it makes much of a difference with such a low end spring/elastomer fork.