Apr 2007

Kool Stop Salmon V-Brake pad woes

Just bought some V-Brake inserts (Salmon). The ones I had were the black Kool Stops and performed well. I thought I'd try Salmon this go around. However, it feels like they're made of marshmellows. Literally. Meaning, I've got the pads adjusted correctly. However, after the pads contact the rim, I can fully depress the levers to the handlebar. I can't tighten the cable more without the pads hitting the rims. Never experienced this with any brake pad. I'm assuming this isn't normal.

Thoughts? I'm running Avid 25 and 1.9SD levers. Thanks.

mtbr member
    My understanding is that the salmon pads are more for wet weather/extereme conditions. They were formulated to be softer and grippier. The ones I used to run were certainly softer than the blacks, but did not allow me to pull the lever all the way in. Maybe they have changed compounds?

Might pay to email Kool Stop (their website appears to be rubbish).

mtbr member
    I emailed them and they answered right away. Very helpful.

ksioregon@aol.com
    Last edited by tommignon; 09-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Please support "Sharing the PCT"
    http://www.sharingthepct.org

mtbr member
    Please let us know what you come up with, as it is interesting.

Also might be worth giving the dual compounds a go. Best of both worlds maybe...?

Apr 2007
    Thanks, guys. I just emailed them. Needlessly to say, I am pulling the pads, as I cant ride around with them performing this way.

Former Bike Wrench
    Did you make sure the entire length of the pads were flush with the rim braking surface. The original pads may not have been set up the same way and wore until they were flush. If you don't have the braking surface flush, then you are certain to get a mushy feel at the lever. The Salmon compound is softer than the black, but it isn't night and day unless you got something defective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Thanks, guys. I just emailed them. Needlessly to say, I am pulling the pads, as I cant ride around with them performing this way.
    Have you tried the Kool Stop Tectonic multi-compound pads? They work great for me.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Apr 2007
    Ok, first, awesome customer service from Kool Stop. They emailed me right back and spent 1/2 hour with me on the phone. I'm going to try a couple of things they mentioned to see how they work. If it doesn't work, they assured me they'd take care of me. They just earned themselves a lifetime customer.

Just FYI, the guy said the salmon pads are as hard as the black pads (same hardness).

mtnbiker - yeah, I readjusted the pads as pictured on the back of the package.

Firelike - I may try those next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Did you make sure the entire length of the pads were flush with the rim braking surface. The original pads may not have been set up the same way and wore until they were flush. If you don't have the braking surface flush, then you are certain to get a mushy feel at the lever. The Salmon compound is softer than the black, but it isn't night and day unless you got something defective.
    +1
    They are a bit harder to get flush due to the angled tip that wants to set them toed-in unless you give the lever a good squeeze when tightening the mounting bolts. Though you'd think you'd have had the same issue with the Koolstop black pads.

How do they stop? Maybe the lever will go to the bar if you really squeeze it but you'll get good braking power with much less lever force?

FWIW I have Koolstop Salmon pads on an old MTB I use for commuting and on my road bike with Shimano dual-pivot calipers and haven't run into a similar issue.

mtbr member
    Wow, I just ordered the Salmon pads to try and fix an issue with some Shimano pads I'm running. It seems that they like to strip pieces if the rim off which gets embedded into the pads. I was hoping a softer compound might help remedy this issue. Or it just might be my crappy Spinergy rims. I wonder if cork pads would be too abrasive for my delicate rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by steveholt! View Post
    Wow, I just ordered the Salmon pads to try and fix an issue with some Shimano pads I'm running. It seems that they like to strip pieces if the rim off which gets embedded into the pads. I was hoping a softer compound might help remedy this issue. Or it just might be my crappy Spinergy rims. I wonder if cork pads would be too abrasive for my delicate rims.
    Sounds familiar; my Spinergy rims seemed to gall and spit off shards regardless of the pad type although some Ritchey pads I got seemed a bit better. I don't think there's a rim that doesn't shed aluminum as it wears but Mavic metal has been reasonable for me and doesn't make the grating noise I could never get rid of with Spinergys.

Apart from being red I never noticed anything particularly different about salmon pads; mind you it rarely rains here. Koolstops are still #1 with me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Try sanding the toe-in tab of material flat to the rest of the pad. This will eliminate the spongy feel. Works for me. When I am forced to buy Kool Stop pads if Ritchey Red pads are not available then that is the first thing I do to them.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the advice. I will see what I can find out about the Ritchey pads. As soon as I hear that grating noise I stop and try and pry those aluminum chunks out to prevent more damage. I'm still riding a set of Spinergy Spox BTW.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Just bought some V-Brake inserts (Salmon). The ones I had were the black Kool Stops and performed well. I thought I'd try Salmon this go around. However, it feels like they're made of marshmellows. Literally. Meaning, I've got the pads adjusted correctly. However, after the pads contact the rim, I can fully depress the levers to the handlebar. I can't tighten the cable more without the pads hitting the rims. Never experienced this with any brake pad. I'm assuming this isn't normal.

Thoughts? I'm running Avid 25 and 1.9SD levers. Thanks.
    Did you change the cables/housing when you changed the pads?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.