COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Kool Stop Eagle 2 pads / no power / spongy

I replaced these pads with a new set of the same on some old Avid Tri-allign 3 v-brakes.
    I was looking forward to using these brakes on my new bike ( I have had them stashed away for 3 years since I have been riding disc brakes ).
    The front does not have enough power and feels spongy.
    I remember these brakes being plenty powerfull to stop me.
    These pads have an angle end to set toe in and remove mud/water from the rim. Is this needed or can I sand it off so the pads have better rim contact. It eventually wears off anyway.
    Another thing I was thinking is the last bike these brakes were on was a C-dale with a Headshok (no fork flex). Now they are on a Fox (which has flex at the bosses).
    This could be some of my problem.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member

Dude! They are three years old!!! What do you expect? (NM)

xxxxx
    I'll be along... eventually.

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    These pads have an angle end to set toe in and remove mud/water from the rim. Is this needed or can I sand it off so the pads have better rim contact. It eventually wears off anyway.
    Shouldn't affect the braking. These plow tips will wear off anyway, so just leave them.
    Your forks are probably flexing, hence the sponginess. Try using a brake booster to stiffen the arrangement. Salsa makes one that's quite good.

Age of the brake pads doesn't matter, only the usage does. I have brake pads that lasted more than three years on my commuter and only got replaced because of wear.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Brakes are old ----- pads are new

The brakes I took off my old bike when I changed to disc.

They have been laying around for 3 years.

The pads are brand new.

Sorry if my post was confusing.

Thanks for your replies.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

Tad
    enormous member
    Jan 2004

It's all about set up.

I'd be checking the cables first. Make sure the housing ends are perfectly flat and perpendicular. Best done by filing them. Check Sheldon Brown's site for more information. Then, I'd check the levers and adjust the leverage if you can do that, for maximum cable pull. Then make sure the pads do not have excessive toe-in.