mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kevlar vs. SS lines effects on modulation ?

I was reading a post on another site that got heavily into the difference between stainless steel hose (Goodridge) vs. oem kevlar brake hose. The thread started talking about outright power, lever feel, then finally modulation. A few posters stated SS line modulate less than a Kevlar hose. The "give" in a kevlar hose is part of a brakes modulation. The SS lines have little give so they have a wooden like feel k,@ the lever, and give more of an on off feel. Wondering if anyone agrees w/ this ? Thanks.

...idios...
    You might find this article interesting.

In addition, and I don't know whether or not this is relevent to the original discussion, but most OEM brake hoses don't use Kevlar; their braiding is nylon.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    That's odd, I have grimeca SS hose and hayes kevlar"?" and the hayes feel like they have less give. I can see the SS hose change shape under pressure but the hayes stayed put.

I should be studying...
    Not suprising... I had the original Shimano 4-pot brakes (basically a mineral oil version of the grimmeca brakes) with the SS lines and they delivered horrible lever feel. Shimano quickly sent me there "resin" brakes lines and it made a huge difference. But Goodridge uses SS lines and everyone who uses them raves about them. As with so many things, execution of concept is crucial.
    Formerly known as iceaxe