mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Keep XX brakes or swap for Hope X2s?

I had a standard pair of XX brakes on my bike for 2 seasons. They seemed to work fine until last year when they began requiring constant bleeding. Sram warrantied them no questions asked and sent me a brand new pair. The replacements are the world cup version and after looking into it, it looks like maybe they no longer have std and world cup versions of XX brakes in 2013 and all of them are the world cup version. Anyway, I figured now would be a good time to swap them out if I wanted to since I have a brand new pair sitting in boxes that are worth a lot of $$$. A coworker insists that Hopes are "the most awesome brakes ever and I must get a pair". I've got no complaints about when the XX brakes were actually working but am intrigued by the Hopes. Figure I'd probably get the X2 brakes since pretty much everything on the bike falls into the XC category. What would you do? I've got an XC type build on a 29" Scott Spark RC, weigh 180 lbs, use a 180mm front and 160mm rear rotor and live in Colorado. So my standard rides involve very lengthy downhills with constant brake use. I'd probably be happy with the XX brakes if I kept them but not sure if that's because I wouldn't know what I'm missing with the hope brakes and they would really be that much better. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The X2 brakes are great, but since your normal rides have long downhills with constant brake use I don't think they're the best choice. My concern is brake fade, as good as the X2 is it isn't magic, and at 180 lbs I think you're awfully close to the limits of the brakes given your description of the local trails.

If you want to try Hopes, I'd strongly recommend a set of M4 brakes. Yes they're a bit heavier but they give you more power and a fair bit more fade resistance so your brakes don't get cooked on the downhills. Modulation also seemed nicer as well, but all the Hopes I've ridden were on borrowed bikes so subtler things like feel & control weren't solid long term impressions. Another brake to consider is Shimano's XT brakes with the Ice-Tech goodies. They're not as polished looking as the Hopes but they're highly functional. The cooling fins on the brake pads work, and they do a great job of keeping the brakes from fading on long descents. Plenty of power too, though the modulation might take a bit of getting used to thanks to the Servo-wave cam mechanism.

Personally I subscribe to the "too much is better than not enough" school of thought and if I rode the same trails as you I'd run a Hope V4/M4 combo or a pair up a Shimano Saint on the front with an XT on the back. It's a bit more weight, but it's also cheap insurance to ensure I never experience brake fade or overheat the brakes if I end up on an unexpectedly long & steep descent.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anybody ride both the XX/Elixr brakes and the X2 or M4 Hopes? I guess I'm curious if it is even worth swapping the ones I've got which are still sitting in their boxes. If Hope are hands down better then I'd get a pair. But if the two work similar and you think I'd be equally happy with either, then I guess there is no point in spending the money.

The comment above brought up an additional question. Are the levers the same for the Hope X2 and M4 brakes? I'd consider maybe using an M4 front with an X2 rear if the levers were the same. If they were different then that would be a little odd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All I can say is I need to bleed my XX brakes every few months. I have XT's on a bike that are perfect for 2 seasons. No experience with Hope. Seems Shimano is killing it with their brakes lately and you can't go wrong with a set of XT.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Get a new pair of Hope X2's. XX brakes are not reliable and compared to a X2, can suffer from more brake fade. Also, the X2's are far more adjustable with the external bite point adjustment and lever reach They may be heavier, but Hope's can legendary reliability and customer service. If you want Avid brakes, go with XO Trail brakes instead. They're four pot system is more powerful and modulated than the XX and they are more adjustable for personal fit. The only downside is they are more expensive than X2's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    *Hope's legendary reliability. Sorry, typo

mtbr member
    you should get a set of shimano xt and pair them with the xt icetech discs shimanos are very reliable and cant go wrong with them. the saint ice tech rotor is so awesome looking.
    other good brakes are the maguras

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRchris1996 View Post
    you should get a set of shimano xt and pair them with the xt icetech discs shimanos are very reliable and cant go wrong with them.
    +1, XT with Ice Tech work great, I am close to 300lbs and using 180/160 rotors and never have fade or noise. I too like long descents and not have any issues. M-785's finned. But if you want the best and have money to spend look at the formula 1 setup. However, XT's are the best bang for the buck, XTR's if you want to save a few grams.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert